You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bus Barn and the POA...

From the day I’ve considered purchasing a Newell, storage has been a hurdle I’ve got to deal with. Finding an affordable storage facility with electricity and reasonable access is almost nonexistent. Of course I want my own “Bus Barn” but I have a POA in our subdivision to deal with. 

I can design a structure that would blend in with the subdivision architectural theme but the giant sized door could be an issue until I found this: 

https://www.hydraulicdoors.com/16-foot-t...ts-height/

I have room on our property to build but I may be in for a battle with the POA and overreaching city ordinances...

We’ll see

I thought someone might be interested in the bifold door option, it’s basica a narrow hangar door...

JK

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

cool to read about but i have to imagine killer expensive and i cant imagine having to maintain a hydraulic garage door.  ughhh   but i like that you like to overkill everything.  ya fit right in.

my shop was built to be a copy of the style of my house.  same roof, same eaves, same color, same stucco etc.  i dont think my doors look out of place.  and they are 15 foot high and 14 foot wide.  

i did opt for a clopay r18 steel sandwiched extra thick door and paid to have low e insulated glass put in the windows.  

i used light commercial liftmaster jackshaft openers inside so as to not have a center overhead rail for the opener.  

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Yes! If you really want to see what the bee’s knees looks like for bus garages then go look at Tom’s! He has the most awesome garage ever. Yes, I am indeed jealous and hope to partially duplicate what he has at his beautiful home. I have been considering buying land and building a large building to help others store their RVs/Trailers on but not sure where we would want to build it. We would probably start with a slab and electrical connections and then build the building a section at a time as we can afford it (not sure if that would work or not but I’m just starting looking at it). There is a large lake here and boat storage is big but there are NO good places to store my coach even without electricity within an hour of Huntsville, AL. We may have to wait until after this home sells to buy the property so it will be a while... speaking of that I need to start sanding the staircase again today...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

POA/HOA's are a major issue. Some can be EXTREMELY restrictive. I thought about buying a lot about a block from my house to build an RV garage but I checked and our HOA states that you can build a separate garage structure ONLY after or simultaneously with building a house of not less than 2000 sq ft and I don't need another house.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Yes, I’m tired of others telling me how and where I can spend my money. I’ve already gone down that path my detached garage/shop. Of course IF I can get approval from POA I’ve got to get approved by the city which is another fiasco.

Land in our area has gone crazy because of the rapid growth. I too wanted to purchase property somewhere near my home and start with a two or three bay unit then grow from there. Charge just enough to pay the bills/loan and make a little for future units.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi

even though i live out in the country, it took me 4 months and many revisions to get my building permit. and then a zillion inspections along the way.

tom

for a few brief moments i thought about doing a pit. was going to do one 47 feet long with stairs and lights and such with grates over the top and so on. as the builder started pricing it out i wavered and when he asked the county about it and they assumed it would be commercial they wanted sump pumps, exhaust fans, etc etc.

all in all i am glad i didnt do it. my shop is extended living space and that would have taken some of that away.

and for the cost of it, i can buy mobile column lifts. in fact someone out to buy me a set of them.

tom

Just as an example there is a private run campground near me that has 40x40 covered sites with a large parking area in front for $550/month all inclusive. He wants to be paid in cash each month but stays pretty full. 3 month minimum, no kids except for weekends, no large dogs, etc.
http://www.totalrvliving.com/?redirect=false

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

We may hire a lawyer to review the subdivision’s covenants before I start the process. I’m in a unique position as I bought the house and two empty building lots that had gone to the banks 10 years ago. They permitted me to build a separate garage/shop/mother-in-law suite. I still have room to build a bus barn if the POA and architectural committee approves it. The city is very overreaching in its ordinances such as the ratio of grass to cement... I’d need to battle them also. We’ll see.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas

also remember resell on these kinds of buildings is not incredible. though i paid no attention to that as my kids will have to worry about that at some point way in the future i hope. ha

tom