You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Engine won't turn off

Gurus,

On my last trip I stopped at a parking space and turned the key off.  Guess what....the engine kept on running.  Hmmm.  I took key out of switch and then put it back in.  I turned to the right (accessory) and noticed that the dash lights came on.  That told me that the switch is probably ok.

At this point, I assumed that there was a stuck relay in the panel below the passenger feet.  I looked and found a likely candidate.  (DDEC IGN ST) .  When I pulled the relay, the engine died.  Success!

I then plugged the relay back in and tried to start the engine with the key.  No dice.  At this point, the engine was off and would not start with the key.  

I called a guru and ran the scenario past him.  He asked me if I had started the engine with the remote switch which is located in the cabinet on passenger side in the rear-most compartment.  I had not even thought about the rear switch.  Since the key was not working, I started the engine using the remote switch and drove home.  Of course the key did not turn off the engine...I had to use the remote switch to turn the engine off as well.

Today, I tried to install a new relay in the DDEC IGN ST socket.  No joy.  I could hear a relay click whenever I tried to start with the key.  That relay turns out to be IGN ST.  I replaced that relay as well and now everything works.  Turns out the IGN ST relay has some burned looking spots on it.  

I could not find exact matches for the relays that I had, but they are extremely generic.  I bought these relays from amazon.

Lessons Learned: 1)  The key controls relays located under the passenger's feet.  2)  If your engine does not turn off....0) Remember CTD...Check the Transmission Dummy. (The engine will not stop while the transmission is in gear) Next, think about if you started it with the remote start.  3)  The third step is to pull and replace these two relays (DDEC IGN ST and IGN ST).  4)  Think ahead and make sure you have a few of these relays on hand.  (I didn't but do now)

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I stopped at a rest stop several years ago and couldn’t figure out why my engine wouldn’t shut down. With the help of a fellow guru on the phone I figured out that I had left the transmission in drive. It needs to be in neutral to shut down. !!!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Bill, when I started reading your post, I wondered if your issue was going to be a neutral issue. I have done exactly what Dean mentioned.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

That's a good thought. I have done that (leave trans in gear) more times than I would like to admit.

I will add that to the list of things to check for!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I agree with carrying extra relays! I need to get a full set of them and check that I have replacement fuses/breakers for the coach...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40