You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Classic Fuel System

I can't address your positioning question but I'll address the filter comments.  In general the smaller micron filter you use the better.  This is especially true for high pressure fuel systems used by most modern diesel engines.  Surprisingly most diesel fuel is not filtered until the point of retail sale.  Pipeline load racks and a other wholesale distributors rely on sedimentation to ensure clean fuel.  Sedimentation works great when done correctly but relies on us humans doing things right which unfortunately sometimes we don't.

At the point of retail sale most retailers will use a 30 micron filter.  However some will use a 10 micron and surprisingly some don't use any filters.  This varies significantly from state to state depending on their laws and enforcement programs 

Now also keep in mind that the way most filters are rated, the micron rating is basically the average size of what the filter will catch.  Therefore they will let some larger particles through also.

So I would recommend a 10 micron final filter and a 30 micron first stage.  From a warranty stand point you can go smaller, but not larger.

Some newer engines are shipped with 2 micron filters, especially smaller engines with smaller injector orifices.

I'll add another reply to address lubricity.

Messages In This Thread
Classic Fuel System - by MPerry - 12-08-2018, 11:01 AM
RE: Classic Fuel System - by Fulltiming - 12-08-2018, 05:53 PM
RE: Classic Fuel System - by bestgenman - 12-08-2018, 06:40 PM
RE: Classic Fuel System - by Doug Musick - 01-27-2019, 08:24 AM
RE: Classic Fuel System - by Doug Musick - 01-27-2019, 09:27 AM