You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Disaster averted

Had the valance lights on.  Went to shut them off at the end of the night.  The switch would not go to the off position and had obviously gone bad. 

The switch is at the entry door on a panel with several other light switches and the master light switch.  I removed the six screws holding the panel & pulled it back.  There were two wires going to the valance switch.  The blue wire was connected and appeared normal.  The white wire was burnt back about 3 inches.  Both wires were so hot you couldn't touch them.  Using pliers I tried to remove the white wire from the switch and the entire terminal pulled out of the back of a melted switch.  The plastic that divides the two wires was totally melted and gone.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Wow,

When you repair that hang a DC ammeter on it, or just feel the switch and terminals to make sure the high current draw was in the switch or terminal and not downstream somewhere.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

"When you repair that hang a DC ammeter on it"

Did so.  Salon rope lights are pulling 9.2 amps.  Does this sound normal?  I do not feel the switch or wires heating up.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

sounds like your salon rope lights are likely the original incandescant ones. and that is probably about right for 30ish feet of rope light.

the led ones would be about a third of that.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

They are original

Thanks

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531