You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

110v compressor

I am having issues with our 110v GAST compressor. The compressor is fine but the motor will not always start. I suspicion a bad armature. I priced a new GAST at about $600. Just curious if there is a less expensive replacement on the market.
Thanks

Bob, do you have some sort of mechanism to relieve the head pressure? If not, the gast, or any other compressor, will stall from time to time.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I recently purchased a new Thomas compressor for $353. They also have rebuilt by factory for $280
Thomas model 2688TE44/38
Contact [email protected]
(920)451-4286
Dennis

Here is the thread with more info
http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=3609&page=2

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

(12-30-2018, 05:47 PM)Richard Wrote:  Bob, do you have some sort of mechanism to relieve the head pressure? If not, the gast, or any other compressor, will stall from time to time.

I have the unit out of the mh. If it does not start I can roll the shaft a half turn then it will go. That was my reasoning for a bad armature.

Good diagnostics, thanks for the additional info.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

You should be able to just replace the motor for less than new complete unit.

I have worked with the same place as Mike @"Land Yacht" . They are good people.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Thank you all for the information on the compressor. I called and went on line with everything you provided. As an afterthought I took the unit to an electrical company near us for his opinion. This gentleman is semi retired but loves to visit. After explaining my issues he said "it's just the starter".
He disassembled the motor cleaned the starter portion and reassembled it. It works great. He said the problem was that it had not been ran enough and just had some mild corrosion. And there was "no charge" 
Thanks again for all your information
Bob

Glad it turned out to be a "Happy New Year" experience!!

(12-30-2018, 05:47 PM)Richard Wrote:  Bob, do you have some sort of mechanism to relieve the head pressure? If not, the gast, or any other compressor, will stall from time to time.

I have had a couple of incidents recently where my new compressor did not start, and even got warm trying to start. Even my old compressor had this happen. After talking with Dennis at Thomas Compressor, I suspect head pressure not allowing the compressor to start. Immediately after my compressor is a water separator (picture below). Does this device provide pressure relief or do I need to look further down line?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model