You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Smoking Valve Cover Vent

I’m going to upload three videos taken before I took the coach to storage. I placed a plastic bottle on the slobber tube but before I did I tried the sniff test. I couldn’t really identify it but it didn’t smell like diesel exhaust, burning oil, or fuel. I didn’t have stands under the rear end so I didn’t want to spend much time underneath.
The videos were taken after the engine was running just a few minutes.

Catch Bottle

Oil Filler before driving

Dipstick before driving

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

The drive to the storage unit is 14 miles. Probably averaged 35 mph. 
When I arrived I noted the following:
Engine Coolant 189*
Transmision Oil 170*
Oil Temperature 178*
Oil Pressure 26psi
Fuel Temperature 73*
OAT 68*
Coach mileage 95754

After drive.

After drive

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi

The catch bottle didn’t have anything in it when I arrived at the storage unit. 

While taking the oil sample I never noticed anything unusual about the oil... black and hot...

Oil sample will be mailed tomorrow to Blackstone.

Probably best to just let it set until the results come back. 

If anyone can think of any questions or possibilities please let me know. 

Thanks, JK

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas

I have a 2008 F-350 that has had the oil filler blow by smoke for 400K miles now. I would check somewhere to see if the DD60 has a positive crankcase ventilation valve that needs to be replaced in the crankcase vent system. That is if oil sample results are good. It is looking like you have quite a bit of blow by. That might be fixed by an expensive in-frame or complete engine overhaul. Also might help to run a little higher viscosity oil.

We’ve gone from a great running engine to this literally almost overnight.
I really started noticing the smoke the last two or three times I had driven it locally. Mostly concentrated on the coolant leak (resolved by adding clamps to sleeves) but I always did see a light smoke trail from slobber tube. 

I’m going to reach out to a local gentleman for advice and additional troubleshooting (let him see it with his own eyes and nose).

I need to find out what could be plugged or is failing to suddenly cause this. 95000 miles is nothing on these engines.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas

Not an export by any means, but worked on Cummins and Cat engines for near 50 yr. If the oil analysis come back good I would take the bus out on the interstate and put it to work, get the exhaust temps up.
Hard to tell from video but your 'smoke' looks like steam. If its coolant the analysis will show it, if its smoke then you may be able to loosen up the rings by driving it. Sometimes excessive low speed driving, idling will cause this.
I believe that vintage 60 series was one of the best engines ever. Good luck. Mark

Mark and Marian

1986 #125   (left us for a new home in Oregon)
1999 Wanderlodge LX40
1979 Mc 8 6V92
Pace 28' stacker

Regina Beach SK  Maricopa AZ

I just got off the phone with Blackstone, we setup my account and I’m asking (begging) for a expedited analysis report. 
I’m tracking the shipment and it has arrived in Ft Wayne USPS distribution center. Hopefully it will be delivered tomorrow. 

I spoke with the Tampa DD tech, he offered that these engine breath heavy and to take it to my local DD service center. I was trying to provide them with the facts so they could determine if the work they accomplished may be causing this situation. Basically I was told they were very busy and didn’t have much time for me. Keep that in your memory bank. 

As a backup to the sample I’d like to drain a pint of oil as Richard has suggested to see what’s in the bottom of the pan. 

My wife is NOT happy with me at this point... I’m praying for a simple resolution. 

Other items to check is the air compressor supply line. Unload the compressor and look for a change. 
On a truck forum one person mentioned that some air compressors get turbocharger air and that can cause complications. 
If the air compressor passes oil the dryer can load up quickly and cause back pressure. 

Changing the oil and switching to a higher viscosity oil. 

All driving since I brought it home has been local. I definitely need to get all fluids topped off and get it out on the highway. 

But until I get a report back all I can do is wait. I have so much to do to it and I have lots of time to do it. It kills me that it’s sitting in a storage unit and I have all kinds of new goodies ready for install...

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas

Blackstone was very prompt when I dealt with them this summer. The report was in depth with footnotes specific to my engine and application. If the report comes back as no coolant in the oils as I hope it does, they also will inform you to other contaminants such as combustion by products , possibly due to ring failure. You are on the road to solving your mystery. Blow by is very common in high mileage engines, but not in the coach applications

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

I just read this in Garage Journal:

I've been told a simple way to see if there is diesel in the oil is to drop a single drop onto a white sheet of paper. The diesel fuel will spread rapidly while the engine oil will stay towards the center of the ring. Check this first.

While I’m waiting on the lab results I’ll give it a try.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas

Oil sample shows diesel fuel no coolant. 

We’ll change the oil and monitor. 

THANK YOU FOR ALL HE HELP AND ADVICE!!!! 

JK

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas