You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1990 Newell vs 1999 Foretravel: first coach decision

Well, I have owned a 1993 39' Newell, 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, and currently have a 1999 36' U320 Foretravel.
My impressions are that the 1998 Newell was much better build quality than my 1999 Foretravel. I would say the 1993 Newell was similar in build quality to my FT. So I'll hazard a guess and say the 1990 Newell should be similar to the 1999 FT. But the FT will have a Cummins 450HP M11 engine vs. the 8V92 Detroit 2 stroke in the Newell. The FT will have Aquahot heat, the Newell probably will have propane furnaces + electric heating, may have the older Dometic basement airs. Probably both will have a Dometic refrigerator. Foretravel also has excellent support from the factory in Nacogdoches, TX plus more experienced service centers in Nacog. such as MOT, and a few others. Most of these guys worked at the factory. Newell has excellent support at the factory in Miami, OK.
The Newell and FT will have similar items like faucets, furniture, similar air suspension, etc.
While I really like the FT I was fortunate to have found one with very good maintenance. Mine has full body paint. Most FT's don't and the decals can show lots of fading, peeling and dull finishes on the gelcoat. The condition and maintenance would be my main consideration if both coaches work for you. Either one will have ongoing expenses but you want to find one that doesn't need maintenance to be caught up on. One major issue with FT's are the rear bulkheads. If rusted badly they are repairable but $2-5k for repairs.
I was looking for a 36' coach and unfortunately Newell doesn't have any that size in the 1990's up.
Any other questions just ask. BTW I do miss my Newell! but satisfied with the FT.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Messages In This Thread