You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Gas spring tool

Here is a tool I made to change the gas springs on the side compartment doors.

TIP: If you have the glass mercury tilt switches for the basement light, move it out of the way prior to removing the gas spring or you may break the switch.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve, that is an amazing tool you have made....every time I see it I am impressed with its design..

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

steve made me one as a "newellwarming" gift. i changed all the gas springs on the bay doors that had them with them. not sure how i could have changed them without it.

it is really really useful.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Steve, would you be willing to make several and sell them to the members of the forum?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester and any one else who might need a tool,
I'm leaving on a trip to the N/E tomorrow. When I get back, I will post a simple blueprint that any welding shop could duplicate. If you are in need now, email me your address & I will ship mine to you & you can ship it back when you are done. Third option is come on by the farm & we'll build you one together.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Here is an amateur drawing of the tool if any one wants to make one.

Hope this is helpful...........................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

hi steve,

chester borrowed the one you made for me and brought it back even better. he added one more layer of steel on the hook where it grabs the end of the strut. it is now super strong.

thanks to steve for making me one and to chester for enhancing it.

tom

Here is a pic of my two tools.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Steve,
I like them. Can you post a few photos showing how the compression tool works? And when do you use the compression tool?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Is it for the engine rear door struts?

Tom