You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

What to do when your whisper heaters quit

Gang,

I am at Newell and last night my heat did not work. It was 35F outside and the best I could do inside was 62F. Brrrrr. (I know some of you live in cold places where 62F is short sleeve weather). Today is Friday, so Newell is not working.

Anyway...here were the symptoms. 1) None of the heaters in the bus that run off of the AC thermostats were working. The whisper fans did not run and there was no heat. In my coach there are whisper heaters by the driver and passenger, under the galley sink and under the bed. All of them were kaput / nada. 2) The aquahot said that it was at 187F so I had heat if I could make it go to where it could do some good. 3) In my closet and bathroom are whisper heaters controlled by their own thermostats. These were working. 4) My electric heater (under my salon desk) was working.

Here is the fix. Dwight, a fantastic Newell tech, told me to look in the third fuse slot (third in from outside Right to Left) of the aquahot unit. There was a 10A fuse there. It was blown. He had me replace it with a 15A fuse and all was good with the world.

Dwight said that the "Teddy" heater that is located deep in the AC plenum was probably frozen up and blew the fuse. (There is a fairly simple fix to disconnect the "Teddy" heater but that is for another post).

Anyway replacing the fuse got everything going again. Yay. I wanted to do this post in case someone else wakes up with an icicle on their nose.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

thanks bill,

i am interested to know what the "teddy" heater is?

and wondering if i should go change that fuse to a 15a that you talked about.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Newell changed that fuse to a 15amp when they replaced the burner and serviced our Aqua Hot last year

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

I have pictures on my other computer so it will be a little bit til I can send them...but I think it is essentially a strip heater attached to the plenum. I remember it being around 18" long and maybe 6" tall. It was exposed when they took my basement AC unit out for service.

Dwight says that I am better off without it and than you only need it if you are going to the arctic. (actually I made that part up).

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

that would have to be a pretty big strip heater to heat enough air to heat the coach. lots of current.

but that is the same as most heat pump systems have in houses for when it gets really cold.

that would take a ton of power, i dont recall seeing a separate breaker for it? i wonder if mine has it or not.

tom

Tom got me thinking about the current draw so I looked on ebay and this is kinda like what I remember seeing....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AURORA-Heater-Te...fa&vxp=mtr

It looks like it runs from hot water.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

i am a little puzzled now. that is not a auxillary heater like strip heaters. that is the heat exchanger for the plenum using the aquahot hot coolant. am i missing something?

tom

Tom:
Creslie referred me to Craig for my Aquahot questions and said Newell is trying the Teddy heat exchangers because of the fan failure rate in the other exchangers that we all have.
Thanks,

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

I take it that these "whisper heaters" are on your aqua hot units?
Does Newell not have aux electric heaters? Curious.

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

Erniee,

Yes they are on aqua hot. I also have an electric heater under my desk in salon. (And one in the aquahot bay as well).

When I get home, I will get pictures of Teddy. That should answer questions.

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama