You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Classic jacking /cribbing

I have been chasing the air leak that causes the left rear suspension to go down after a day or two on our 86 . The valves seem to all be located in the engine compartment on the right side , forward bulkhead and I have not found any leak in that system. I suspect there may be a leaking air bag(s) or something in the plumbing going to the bags . I'm thinking the wheels need to come off to access the air bags and their plumbing . I have a 12 T bottle jack , but I think it would be easier if I had something with larger capacity . Harbor Freight has air/hydraulic jacks and 6 ton jack stands . I have noticed in posts that some Gurus use floor jacks , not clear on the capacity . Any input as to safe and effective procedure greatly appreciated . 
Best wishes to everyone in the coming Spring !
Thanks ,
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Chris, 12 ton won't do it very well.

20 ton bottle jacks, and I also have one of the air/hydraulic jobs from HF. Works great.

6 ton jack stands are very iffy. I use 20 ton jobs.

If you are working in the back, look at where the radius arms connect the axle to the frame. There should be a metal pad under the area. That's a good place to crib.

This is where it can get a little murky. If you are cribbing for safety, I have used the rear area of the hitch or engine cradle. However if you plan on fully supporting the weight of the coach I would use those pads under the radius arms.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

What Richard said -
I prefer wood cribbing - I use 4" x 6" yellow pine about 2 ft long for the bottom layer & sort of taper them up as I cross stack them. I used the bulkhead in front of the rear axle & the one just behind the front axle.

When I replaced all of my air bags, I had the whole coach up on blocks & all the wheels off (those suckers take up a LOT more space than you would think when they are off the coach!) Made access so much easier.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

I don't know if these photos will help.  This was to remove right rear wheels on the '87.  The jack is 20 ton and jackstand is 12 ton.        

Chris,
That air leak will be the least of your problems if the coach comes down with you under it. Just remember you only have one life. I would not go under a Newell supported with 6 ton jackstands!

I have spent many hours under my coach.  Here are the jackstands I like:

https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-1522-22-Ton...497&sr=8-5

Jack stands are not a place to scrimp.  SAFETY FIRST

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

i have 4 of the same jackstands steve shows above. they store easy in the bay.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks for the information everyone . Picked up a 20t air/hydraulic jack and 12t stands from HF , lumber from HD . Hope to get going on the project today . The 87 looks like it has new brake drum , actuators ? Very nice. 
Thanks again,
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

I got two of these, very heavy duty, and the threaded post is nice.

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/pr..._200616134

I agree with the other post here, don't skimp. Common rule of thumb in lifting applications is too used equipment rated double what you plan to lift. Not an absolute requirement, but sound advice.

Regarding my earlier post with the photos: 
I took these photos when I was at a bus shop where I go to work on the bus with their help/advice.  As I learned from Richard, Newell recommends placing the jackstand forward of the rear axle on the tower that the radius arms attach to.  Normally we/they do place the jackstand in that position and use a "plate type" 20 ton jackstand when possible.
 I'm not sure why they didn't use that point in this case but I specifically asked if that was a safe place for the jackstand and they said it was on a solid, well supported part of the frame and would be fine.  Maybe because it's there mainly to support the frame if the air bags failed.  Probably would have been best to support both areas with jackstands along with the jack just in case.

It was my intention to crib at the forward point where the radius arm connects before going under the coach . Now that I find the 12t rating for the stands is a combined rating I will shelve the project , at least for now .
Comments/input much appreciated! 
Thanks ,
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand