You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Rally seminars--shortened version

We have six seminars scheduled that came out of you Newell owners.  

Newell history

Air leaks--Tools and techniques to find & correct

Troubleshooting problems with our air systems, other than those pesky air leaks

Roadside emergencies & cribbing a coach properly

AquaHot--service & parts breakdown

Open question & answer get together

We have received ideas of five additional seminars and are asking for Newell owner feedback.

Exterior detailing & maintenance

Scheduled coach maintenance

Generator maintenance & problems

Jake brake modification that allows the Jake to be off, on like normal or on but only activated if you hit your brakes.  I have this modification on my coach and it is most useful in an emergency braking situation----my brain doesn't work fast enough to turn on the switch.

Replacing a Zip Dee awning.  These were mounted on the pre Girard coaches.

If you are interested in any of these suggested subjects please provide your feedback.  If you have a new suggestion, please do so.

Thanks........................................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

In this order...
1. Jake Brake mod
2. Replacing Zip Dee awning
3. Gen troubleshooting
4. Scheduled Maintenance
5. Caulking roof, windows etc to prevent water leaks

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

I have received some feedback on seminar topics and it is very helpful.  Thank You!  It is our desire to provide the information that you owners want & need.  Feel free to voice your desire--we are listening.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Somewhere on this forum is a series of posts that I made a few years ago related to motorizing the Zip Dee awnings. You may want to include this subject in your lecture. If I recall the cost of the kit is about $500 and easily installed.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Based on owner feedback, we have added two seminars.  Richard is going to put on the Jake modification and understanding how relays work.  Forest is going to put on the Zip Dee awning seminar.  

Chester,
Once a Guru, always a Guru.  You are welcome to attend and provide the info on motorizing the Zip Dee awnings.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I'm super excited for the 6 confirmed seminars and will be attending each and every one of them!  As for the 5 additional ideas for the seminars....yes Yes YES!!!!  Below was my original seminar wish list and happy to know that MOST if not all will be covered.  Looking forward to meeting all the gurus and fellow Newell owners.  I'll be there May 2-15.  May 4th is my bday (May the Fourth be with you) and attending this rally is truly the best gift anyone could have: Friends teaching and helping friends.  See you all in 3 weeks!  

1. How to give your coach a complete annual PM service.  Newell charges $4500 for this.  I know, welcome to owning a Newell.
2. Aquahot service and system overview.  Also the Teddy heater under front table doesn't turn on.  Fan stuck?  Zone issue?
3. Generator service and system overview.  Can an after market Auto Gen Start be installed?  Gen Mate?
4. Complete walk through of the coach learning all the systems, switches, dials, relays, etc.
5. How to find and fix an air leak and proper seal maintenance.
6. How to properly detail the coach and prevent corrosion back to showroom finish.  Remove swirl marks.
7. How to replace airbags and shocks.  How to inspect and know when they are bad and need replacing.
8. How to properly use the coach in the winter.  Eng Preheat. Heated water hose. Tag axle increase/decrease for traction. 
9. How to diagnose electrical issues.  Lights dim when A/C turns on.  Inverter? Batteries going bad? Some switches/valves don't work.
10.  Driving course: how to make sharp right turns without hitting the curb!  Backing in tight spot.  Emergency handling.
11. How to clean and service the roof airs and engine A/C.  A/C is not cool while driving.
11. How to prevent puddles of rain water, sticks and leaves from accumulating on top of slides and then leaking.
13. How to know if your batteries need replacement and which batteries to buy.  ADM or lithium?
14. How to fix basement doors.  Some leak, some don't lock and some you have to slam to get to shut.
15. Fresh water system. How to clean and prevent calcium buildup.  Black water system: how to clean.  Cockpit valve?  Manual valve?
16. Last but not least: How to prevent roof leaks and install and seal roof cables and screws (Satellite, Wifi Ranger, Solar panels)

Vinnie 

2003 Newell Coach #667, Triple slide

Having the ability to change a fuel filter in a Davco fuel processor is a function that will keep you from spending time on the side of a road.  It takes very few tools, which are inexpensive, and just a few minutes to make the change, but there is a specific order that needs to be followed.

I will be changing the filter on my coach and will set up a time at the rally.  Anyone who is unfamiliar with the filter change process or needs a refresher course is invited to attend.  If your coach has a Davco fuel processor, the changing process is the same no matter the year of your coach.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Can someone VIDEO RECORD these seminars so those of us that cannot attend could see them please? I would love to see ALL of these! We are in Virginia (working/living) so cannot attend...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I happen to run across video's on YouTube discussing the Air System layout and maintenance. The channel is NewellOwner. Don't know about the other topics mentioned, nothing else shows up yet. I'm only guessing these were from the Rally, not much of an intro.

Life is what you make it.

I posted links to the videos on this site in the Documentation Section - Air Operated Systems and Leaks.

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=4957
http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=4958

The links are also included on my website http://www.newellowner.com/newell-air-system/

Although there were several other presentations, air leaks seem to be of interest to the largest group of individuals so those were the two I taped.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com