You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Best Tire (is there such a thing?)

Needing to replace 295/80R22.5 fronts and 275/80R22.5 rears soon.  Are there any recommendations for tires?  All seemingly have their share of issues.  I had a front Michelin blow out at 65 on a descending right-hand turn on the intestate and never want that to happen ever again.  Just a bit scary, to say the least!

I have Continentals HSR2's on the rear and although in 7 years have zero side wall cracking (unlike the XZA2's in front with deep finger nail burying cracks) they feel like one is driving on ice (doesn't feel as stable in the rear over the previous Michelin's).  The new ones are now HSR2's (any better?).

Most anything is better priced than Michelin but wouldn't mind the extra dough if really that much better.  Keep hearing of all the blowout especially with the Michelins (see above)

OH, I'm getting mix opinions on balancing.  Experienced trucker are of the opinion that balancing such a heavy tire cannot be done with wheel weights better to mount them correctly and better off just to not bother?

Thanks all
Marino
98 Vogue V (but always looking)

Firestones & Michelins have been working well for me.

When possible, I have the shop mount the tire & check the balance - if it takes too much weight, we return that tire to the pile & try another. If they have enough tires, you may be surprised at the difference it makes . . . .

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

I’ve run a lot of Michelins over the years. My Newell has them all around now. My Michelin Dealer put balancing beads in them when he mounted them. It takes a few miles for them to run smooth. I’m thinking your tire blowing is an anomaly. The only time I’ve had any tire blow out was if it was old, overloaded, or if I had run over debris.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I Have Michelin all around the Newell.  XZA in the front and XZA2 in the rear. I'm a firm believer in the 5-7 years rule of replacement. My family and My life depends on these tires.

3 pieces of advise, from a mere mortal.

1) Know your tire date code and how to read it. After the DOT stamp information line, look for the 3 or 4 digit code (2016) 20th week of 2016, (3018) 30th week of 2018. Note, this date code is only on one side. I had to crawl around to find it on the back side on a few tires.

2) Have your coach weighed. At least at a scale by axle, or Escapee's has a program called SmartWeigh. They are in Congress AZ, Livinston TX, and some place in Florida (too far east for me). They also do it at events around the country. $55, cheap for what I learned, see below.

3) Check tire pressures daily (manually) before each trip. I also travel with a Tire pressure monitoring system on all 12 wheels. This may not catch the sudden blow out, but they due warn you of temperature and pressure irregularities.

I just did SmartWeigh my coach and trailer yesterday. I thought I knew. I found out that ONE of my tag wheels carries 500 lbs less than the other. I need to repair that. The lighter one is forcing its load to the duel wheels ahead of it with more weight than it needs too.  

TIRES
Buy Quality, name brand, and where there is a dealer on every corner. Your family and your life depends on it, (maybe mine if I'm driving behind you).

Off the soap box   Smile

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

i have posted this before but thought it appropriate to repeat part of it. in 2017 we went on a trip. my tires were right at 5 years old. i thought i would get one more trip out of them.

when i got to bella terra i had a tag tire separate. replaced it there

left there and at baton rouge i had a front 365 go flat and found it had separated. had to drive 400 miles in rented truck to go get two new tires for the front.

drove from there to austin texas. the next morning i had a inner drive tire flat. i then had the local shop come and replace all the tires.

i am a firm believer in 5 years.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Hey Tom  Sounds like me and my tire blow-outs - only 5 years old when my pants went dark!  What brand were those tires?

honestly thinking of switching to Continentals.  Anyone using their new HSR2 eco plus tires

Thanks to all
Marino

mine were all michelines

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

anyone try Continentals HSR2 series? HSL2's wondered is why i'm asking

We run Bridgestones on the steer and Michelin on the drive. We have run many different brands on our Heavy haul trucks, good service out of most except Chinese tires.

Joe Galowitch
1998 Newell
Coach 459 45 foot 1 slide

Would have liked to run the Bridgestone tires but cannot find the correct sizes.  my direct sizes are 295/80R22.5 front and 275/80R22.5 rear