You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Crash safety vs Prevost

Interested in any info folks have on this topic, given Prevost monocoque construction, vs Newell semi monocoque

I am not sure there will be enough data. With cars and light truck crashes, we have hundreds and thousands of accidents and then the government and Insurance Institute crash tests.

I"m wondering about Newell's aluminum sides, and their fiberglass front and rear caps (especially the front!) and wondering if that's as safe as Prevost bus steel cage

I don’t think it matters very much....At the risk of engaging in a “Which is best...Apple or Orange Debate”...here are my thoughts.  Let’s start with what a crash looks like in a bus.

Bus test crash video

Prevost or Newell...no one is gonna enjoy that ride.

In the words of the owner / President of Newell Coach.....talking about Bus conversions....

The Newell chassis and body structure is stronger below the floor line, allowing more and larger-sized slide-outs to be cut into the body above the floor without creating structural issues. The floor height and roof height of the Newell are optimized for interior headroom, plus we have the interior height to include flat-floor mechanisms within the fixed floor. A bus shell has significantly less interior headroom, headroom that is further compromised if aftermarket flat floor slides are installed. (No commercial bus shell is yet offered with factory-built flat-floor slide-outs.)  - Karl Blade 

So, in my opinion (and for what its worth).  Buying a coach strictly on the basis of crash safety is missing the point.  If you have a bad crash....it won’t matter what you drive.

The Newell is optimized for a coach that you live in and travel in....it is not built to carry 40 people from point A to point B.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

We also have a generator in front - not that it would matter much but it might save our dog’s lives and THAT is what is most important...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I think the drivers steering wheel should be in back of the bus! Also a large screen tv with a forward camera to see the road would be helpful.

Former Owner 2001 Fleetwood Discovery
Proud Newell Owner 2004 S/N 698
FAA Licensed Airframe & Powerplant Technician, Inspection Authorized.
44 years of Aviation filled Joy!

I have pull the small recording camera (From Yi!) out of my Jeep and putting it on the top of the windshield while driving. This records everything the wide angle camera can see onto a 64gb memory stick which holds video for several days at high resolution. My wife figured out how to use the wifi capabilities to connect my phone or iPad to the camera to record video or pictures to the device - now my iPad is full of pictures from our last trip! I have TONs of pictures of pretty mountains and cows...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40