You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Radiator fan question

Someone on another forum, with SOB, experienced a catastrophic radiator fan failure, which took out his radiator. It was a rear radiator coach, and he had an awful time getting someone to work on it. Long story short, he eventually got things fixed and is now back on the road. After the fiberglass fan exploded he found out that he is not alone with that mishap. He replaced the fan with another that supposedly isn't fiberglass, but looks very much like what exploded.

We're looking at late 80's Classic WB coaches, and are wondering if this has happened to any of you, and what material the fans on Newells are made of.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
Build 4371

Nope, no problem here.....ours is steel, so no worries for us on that score.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Thanks. Good to know.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
Build 4371

yeah our '82 is a steel fan. Not sure what the newer Newells have.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Good. The range we're looking at is the Classic WB 40' coaches, which I believe is 86-89.

I well understand that even a steel fan can eventually suffer from metal fatigue and fail, but often an inspection can show that potential failure spot BEFORE disaster strikes. Given the weight of these coaches, the difference between a steel fan and a fiberglass fan isn't all that much.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
Build 4371

David you said someone was looking at your MPG recently for a second time. Did you get it sold?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

We just got back from Happy Trails a few minutes ago. Yes, it is sold. I just posted that on another thread.

Wednesday we got a call from them saying they had an offer, but it was less than the asking price. Jo Ann told me about it when I got home, and we called with a counter offer. I asked if it was the people who had contacted me directly. They checked, and those people were working with a different salesman. They made a full-price offer (!), so they are driving off with it today.

We are now officially looking for our full-time coach. Yes, we are excited.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
Build 4371

Well you are in a good position to be a discerning buyer in a buyers market.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Not sure what you are looking for, but I would seriously consider Tom's coach. I cannot imagine one being in better condition. Just my thought.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Dave

Lynn and I found a "only used on Sundays" kind of bus after looking for two years

We have spent the last two years putting it in the shape we wanted

I can only reiterate what the rest have said

You cannot begin to believe/understand how much you are going to end up fixing/repairing with a bus bought from someone you do not know

I would offer like the rest, that you look at Toms bus and see if there is anyway to do a deal with him

Even if you have to give him payments and wash his new bus for a yearSmile

The ability to step in to that bus where he has done all the tinkering/repairs/updates will save you a ton of money and frustration (full disclosure; I have never met Tom or seen the bus but can tell from his posts and the esteem he is held in by others on Newell Gurus that what you buy will be exactly as represented)