You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

c-15 valve adjust

Huh Good Morning,  My coach number is 1403 a 2010 model with 64,000 miles, It has a 2008 cat c-15 acert 625 hp in it. Newell recomends anywhere between 15-60,000 miles to inspect/adjust valves,injectors and jake brake. My question is does anybody know if this is really necessary to have this service performed? i have contacted Cat several times nobody seems to have the time or answer and Newell says to contact Cat. I have not had a lick of trouble with engine to date!! Also to gain access to engine i would have to tear out tile in rear bath .  Any thoughts out there.

I talked to my bus mechanic and they do cat C15 and he said that they wouldn't do anything till 225000 miles.

He and his mechanic laughed when I said 60,000

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,

My knowledge is at the pre-newbie level. But I remember seeing the Adept Ape youtube video (which is in part) about the differences between C15 and C-15 engines. Does that apply? Or is there such a thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0J_PII_Fi0

Eric

Treelog - you might consider adding a Profile signature so we know your name and a little about you :-)
We have always had trouble getting people to work on our engines/transmissions. Places that work on busses (like Tom mentioned) are great resources because they work on these things all the time. Lots of places will tell you straight out that they won’t look at a coach - too many people had carpet/interior messed up due to mechanics with greasy feet/hands. We always carry some of the 3foot wide thin plastic wrap to cover the carpets/furniture with - whatever is not covered WILL get stained!
My last CAT was a 3208 so I’m not much help...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Thanks for your replies, I guess at this point if it ain't broken , don't worry about it

it could be that cat recommends a 60k valve lash check. my only data point is the shop that i go to that has hundreds of charter buses. and has done work on detroits for me. so do what you feel comfortable with and take all of our inputs and decide what makes sense for you.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

"My question is does anybody know if this is really necessary to have this service performed?"

Here is what CAT says:  https://www.cat.com/en_US/by-industry/ma...alves.html & https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/2004-2006_...dation.pdf

"Also to gain access to engine i would have to tear out tile in rear bath ."

Newell has a tile panel that is designed to come out to allow access to the top of the engine, but I am guessing that you know that.

As Newell owners we all have the choice in what maintenance to do and when to do it.  I did the valve adjustment on my Series 60 as Detroit Diesel recommends, at 60,000 miles, and immediately my mpg jumped up and my Jake performed better.

Good luck with your choice...........................................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I have a pre-cert c15 in my 2007 coach that I had the valves done at about 100,000 miles. The coach had a noticeable increase in power but they had also done an ECU update so I do not know if the ECU update or the valve adjustment that gave the coach its new spunk.

The floor was a big pain in the derriere! It did not come up as it was supposed to for Newell did not install it the way they were supposed to. Long story short I had to have a completely new heated bathroom floor put in.

So it is up to you to decide but I am a bit anal and make sure my coach is serviced by the book.

Good luck,
Oscar

Oscar & Janet Valent
Full timing
2004 Foretravel U320 3820 PBBS
2007 Newell Coach #815 - Great Coach Sold
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

Treelog,

I am as we speak, sitting in Fabick Cat in Joplin, MO having the 60K service done. Fabick was involved closely with Newell when Cats were being used and the recommendation from the service manager was to do an upper service (valve lash, jake, and injectors at 60K. It makes sense as apart from the normal break-in wear, coaches can take quite awhile to reach the 60,000 mile mark. In my case it took from the 2007 (build date to 2018) to reach that high. While that is being done, I am also doing a flash to the ECU with the most up to date program and having the fuel line check valve replaced along with a fuel pressure check. I do admit to being "old school" meaning adjustments are viewed as necessary and a normal part of the maintenance cycle.

In speaking with the mechanic, most of the adjustments were fairly moderate in scope. Meaning, all of the components needed some adjustment but none were of an amount that should be of concern.

The downside is my floor hatch took all day yesterday to get out at the factory. Turns out someone decided to screw down half of the panel in an area covered with tile. Looks like 4 or 5 tiles will need replacing. Ugh.. But thats not really surprising as many people have reported problems with the original install.

The good thing about doing this now is I will make sure that the hatch will be easily removable the next time.

Something to think about, if your not doing this service interval which the factory is recommending, because of the problems you most likely will encounter removing the floor I think you will going down a risky path, its my experience most repairs on my coach involves undoing or redoing the components involved due to some less than optimal design or install. Your engine is also more complicated then my 2006 version so the ECU upgrade could be of some real value.

Best of luck.

2008 Newell #1223 4 slide, Cat C15 with ZF 12 spd, 2004 Chevy Silverado 4x4 Duramax 6.6[Image: thumbnails.php?album=143] Toad for fishing. 

Oscar,
Who did your service on the valves? Thank you this information.

Reese Cantrell
Newell Coach 1242

NotSoFast,
How long did it take to do the service on the engine that describe? Thank you for this information.

Reese Cantrell
Newell Coach 1242