You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Kwikee steps kaput

Quote Originally Posted by folivier View Post
""Well I did get it working. I did find a plastic gear at Napa NAPA AUTO PARTS
that might work but I was able to just turn the gear 180 degrees so that there are no broken teeth. I'll see how long that works.""

Above is from the other forum.
Well it lasted just about a year. Started chattering again. I emailed both Kwikee and PPL to see if the replacement gear set and motor assembly will fit. If not I guess I'll buy a new step.
Just heard from Kwikee and they don't make any parts for these old steps. So just ordered a new step from PPL. Should be waiting for me at my sons house when we get back to Thibodaux next week.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

keep the control module out of the old steps. in case you need it later.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I'll do that Tom, but from what I understand these steps and parts are obsolete. Maybe someone can use the parts?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

(02-08-2013, 02:19 PM)folivier Wrote:  I'll do that Tom, but from what I understand these steps and parts are obsolete. Maybe someone can use the parts?

When I purchased my 96 back in 2005 the steps had just bend replaced. The steps work great until last Oct. when returning from the Hatfield McCoy when I bent the step in a parking lot. The person watching for me open the door but didn't realize the step went out so I bent the step pretty good. I order a new one when I got home and have the old step all good except metal. If anyone need anything from the old steps let me know. My new replacement worked with install and plug in.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Guys,
I understood these steps have torque sensing motors. If that is correct, why don't they stop or reverse when they hit something.

When I worked on mine some time ago, I was trying to figure out what controlled it stoping in the open/closed position. I was told it was torque sensing, & that when the motor drew over a certain amperage it either stopped or reversed.

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

(02-08-2013, 08:33 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Guys,
I understood these steps have torque sensing motors. If that is correct, why don't they stop or reverse when they hit something.

When I worked on mine some time ago, I was trying to figure out what controlled it stoping in the open/closed position. I was told it was torque sensing, & that when the motor drew over a certain amperage it either stopped or reversed.

They do and mine was working. What happen was mine was out and I hooked it on a truck tire that was parked.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

We're parked at Magowns campground and rv repairs enjoying Steve's great hospitality. Today we finished my new steps. I had to change out the door plunger switch to the new magnetic switch. Now it works properly.
We also installed a new awning over the dinette window. I'm amazed at how well the color matches the old awnings. Now we have awnings over all the windows. It was really nice to pull the coach into Steve's huge shop to work on it. Thanks Steve.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest,
Would you post some pictures showing the details of how it mounts? I want to install a couple more awnings as well.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Didn't take pictures, sorry.
Basically you attach an aluminum track with screws. Then the awning slides into this track. You then attach the arms and attach the plates with rivets, and the strap holddown. Then you take the left arm and wind it clockwise 18 turns and re-attach the arm. Definately a two person job. Also it didn't come with the screws so you need to get these, I used #8- 3/4" long stainless screws.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337