You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Firefly Oasis Battery – Carbon foam AGM

Hello,
Looking at the specs on this battery....https://oceanplanetenergy.com/advanced-energy-storage-systems/firefly-energys-oasis-group-31/.

From the marketing data they present the battery looks like an option for house batteries.  Has anyone had any experience with this manufacture?

Thanks
Steve

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Hi Steve,

I have been following this company for a few years and like the specifications that have been published.
The market focus of the company has been the marine industry and having installed a complete Victron Lion system in my sailboat proved to be quite a disaster, and is not something I'm willing to do again. I have been looking for an alternative to that technology and Firefly may be a good way to go.
The product line is very limited so fitting into my 8D racks in the coach will not be very efficient. Hopefully they will fill out the line before I need to replace my current set. Also waiting a bit longer to see what other customers have to say is probably wise.
I'm also surprised by the lack of discussions on the sailboat sites about this technology. If you do try them out I would be interested in the results.

Regards,

Mike

2008 Newell #1223 4 slide, Cat C15 with ZF 12 spd, 2004 Chevy Silverado 4x4 Duramax 6.6[Image: thumbnails.php?album=143] Toad for fishing. 

i am just getting new agm batteries for the 99 i am getting ready to sell. they are from oreillys and i got them for 390 bucks apiece. i have them in my 02 and they work fine.

if i was not doing agm, i would do the battleborn LiOn, but i just dont dry camp enough to need them.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/fle...75/4742647

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Mike
Made the initial contact with the company inquiring if their battery would work in our situation.  The cliff note answer is a resounding yes their battery would be a perfect fit.  They have put me in contact with their distributor in Ft. Lauderdale. When they call and we discuss the project further.  I will ask if they are going to expand the line in the near future.  I will pass along their comments.  As a side note, hope to find a yacht owner that has actually used them to get an idea of real world experience.

Tom,
Thanks for the link on the Oreilly's battery that is a great price.

Steve

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

steve, my local oreillys negotiates on big purchases. i bought the same batteries last spring for my personal coach, so i have spent a lot of money on them there.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Steve, if you haven't already, do a search on cruisersforum.com
There are some sailboaters who have these Fireflys.
BTW I looked at these a couple years ago but installed Battle Borns in my Foretravel. Very pleased with them.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Thanks Forest, will check them out. Had done some researching on cruisers forum.com for another project i was working on.

Steve

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Hello All,
Heard back from the Distributor in Ft Lauderdale. 

So a few more questions and a copy of the warranty (attached below) it looks like the FF battery is a non stater for me for couple of reasons,

1) The warranty does not cover a battery reaching its normal end of life, which may occur prior to the warranty periods.
2)The Warranty Period will be reduced if average operating temperatures exceed 80°F (27°C), as follows: the Warranty Period will be reduced by 50% for every 15°F ( 10°C ) of prolonged operating temperatures over 80°F, excluding starting applications.

Looks to me like any application operating over 80 degrees would shorten its life span significantly.  I don't know what temperatures we see in the battery compartment are but would bet a paycheck they are way more than 80 degrees. 

Steve

Attached Files
.pdf Firefly-Oasis-12VG31-Battery-Warranty.pdf Size: 116.79 KB  Downloads: 3

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

That's not a warranty. That's a Buyer Beware statement. Nice of them to tell you up front-don't bother us, you're on your own!

You hit the nail on the head!

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL