You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Where I am now, my life

I've been a member of this site for a long time. I've owned two Newells, a 77 and a 93. I poured my heart into both of them trying to make them better. I think I succeeded. I learned an immense amount along the way. According to Chesley at Newell I obviously spent too much time under the coach and according to my sweetheart I didn't spend enough time in the coach. I beg to differ. 

Following my wife's death from cancer 4 years ago, traveling in the Newell lost its luster and I eventually sold it. At one point I had 2 motorhomes, 2 cars and a 5 bedroom house, every widowers dream, right?

A year ago I bought a Sprinter B van conversion by Great West Vans, a 2015 with low miles. The trip home to Michigan from California was amazing. The sights were amazing and I found I wanted to do an amazing amount of work on the van. Newell coaches were my standard for desired quality of design and workmanship, not that I had and experience actually doing either one of those. It has taken more than a year to pretty much redo the interior, not quite done yet, but the van is really nice to travel in and I'm pleased with how it looks. The idea of doing this type of thing in a Newell size coach, just thinking about it makes me tired. 

The kind lady in my life has a Mexican heritage so we are thinking of taking "Lucy" (the van) to Mexico for or month or so just for giggles. And some genuine fajitas. 

I'll continue to follow this site and continue to contribute when I can remember something relevant and useful. And I will enjoy reading how this village is a community of friends helping friends.

Y'all be good now hearah,

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Jon,

Your steady wisdom has been a constant on this site. Thanks for all that you have done.

Although we have never met in person, I consider you a friend and one of the statesmen on this site.

Good luck on your journey.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I was blessed with a visit from Jon a couple years ago. He was very patient in answering questions I had about my Newell as I restored it. Jon, thank u for the update!! Please stop in with your Sprinter. I would love to see it!!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Your sage advice was always welcome & useful.  Good luck in your future travels.

God bless and Merry Christmas.............................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Same here Jon, I was not fortunate enough to meet you in person but did enjoy our phone and email conversations. And I appreciate your tips and advice you gave on the forum. Life leads us in different directions at different times but always remember that you are welcome here whatever direction you go in. There are very few forums that are as welcoming as here.
Hopefully we can meet up someday.
Forest

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Please do continue to contribute Jon. Your advice is always helpful and welcome.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

jon, you are amazingly smart and a nice guy to boot.

thanks for all you have done for us.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Jon,

I have enjoyed reading your posts and hope to hear from you in the future. You have added to my knowledge immensely and I want to thank you.

jon

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad