You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Identifying air bags

Is there a locking nut on the swivel?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Steve,

Sorry I have no experience to offer. Just let me try to understand what you are seeing. There is a 90 degree fitting on the end of the air hose that attaches to the top of the air bag. The connection between the hose and the fitting is not where you plan to disconnect. The other end of that fitting has a nut with flats where a wrench can be connected and torque applied to that nut - right? You are able to get that nut loose - right? Now, you would expect for the fitting to turn itself as it is pulled free since it is no longer held tight by the nut - right? For some reason, the fitting it so tight it won't pull up and it won't rotate either - right?
Maybe a picture from more above than the one you posted at the start of this thread will help someone suggest an idea.
Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Russ & Richard you've got it right and a picture IS worth a thousand words--Photo #1 & 2. In my younger days I possibly, no probably, would have broken the fitting trying to get it off. As I get older I take the time to do more thinking. After a nights thought I came up with a few ways to attempt to break the swivel loose. The successful process was to loosen the swivel nut, which stretched the air line, about an 1/8th turn CCW. While holding the fitting nut I lightly tapped on the hose collar with a nylon hammer moving the hose back to its starting point. I continued this process an 1/8th turn at a time until the fitting swivel nut was finally looseBig Grin-Photos 2. I then removed the air line.

I removed the four 1/2" nyloks from the top bolts and removed the two 1/2" bolts from the bottom mounting plate. I then compressed the air bag using a small pry bar. I could then remove it easily. The bag itself is in terrific condition--no checking, no creases.

The bad news is the paper identifying label that Firestone put on the top of the air bag has been obliterated with timeSad. All I could read is W01-.....8..... There are some numbers on the bottom mounting plate that I hope identify the air bag.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

steve, i dont think those numbers are going to help you much. the airbags are basically made up of a number of pieces. the bellows, the rubber stop inside that prevents you from setting the coach down all the way inside the bag, the bottom plate like you have a picture of.

many of the bags use the same pieces. so it might help you narrow it down, but i will be surprised if it gets you all the way there. i hope i am wrong

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I was able to use the numbers on the bottom plate, along with the air bag measurements to narrow the air bag to one of two air bags. In the Firestone catalog they looked exactly the same. I spoke with a very helpful woman at Firestone customer service(1-800-888-0650) who stated the catalog was wrong on the upper plate of one that I had picked, but the other one is correct. On February 18th I had a second conversation with Firestone tech support that contradicted the above conversation. Tom had given me a front air spring number, but tech support said that air spring would not work. At this point the front air spring number has not been identified. I apologize if this has caused anyone any frustration.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Tom,

I am trying hard to get there from what we have - but so far have't made it. I do think I know this:
Piston - 9766
Piston Type - 1T19G-5
Piston Drawing Number - NAD 28978
And I will bet the bag was spec'd for Ridewell

My eyes are glazing over as there must be thousands of different bags, just barely different, but different just the same.
Russ

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

In my defense, that wasn't there when I started hunting and pecking......

Great work Steve! I was on page 83 of the catalog, but still had not narrowed it down. Did your lady friend mention if it was still in production? Time to go shopping. Russ

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

I did not ask her. Since it was in the 2010 catalog and not marked "obsolete" I'm sure they are available. While you are shopping I'm going to put it all back together after explaining to Suzy why I took a perfectly good part off the motorhome. Let me know how you come out and I'll let you know how I come out.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Here is a hint for using the Firestone air bag catalog if you don't know the air spring number. Instead of getting bleary eyed looking through all the different air bags, go to the rear of the catalog and find the cross reference chart for the piston component number--starts on page 219. The piston component number is the four digit number found on the bottom of the air spring. Then compare the piston type number and piston drawing number that are also found on the bottom of the air spring. In my case that eliminated all but five air springs and gave me their catalog page number. I could then do a physical feature and measurement comparison and pick the right air spring model number. Unfortunately I didn't find this out until I was already bleary eyed.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Inspected the front disc pads while the wheel was off as they are almost impossible to see with the wheel on. They looked about 80%. Cleaned up the air spring mount and reinstalled the air spring with new hardware. I installed the four top nyloks on the top mounting plate studs. You have to get the air spring bottom plate down to the mount to install the two bolts into the bottom mounting plate. You can't just pull it down. I had a short piece of #12 line with a 45 degree fitting that I connected to the air spring air inlet. A 90 degree fitting would work too. I used a short hose because I was working alone(see photo). This is where a second set of hands would be helpful to blow the air into the hose which causes the bellows to expand and allows you to start the bottom mounting plate bolts. Tightened and torqued the mounting plates bolts. Firestone wants only 20-30 ft lbs of torque on the mounting plates. Reconnected the air line and reinstalled the tire. This job is very doable for anyone who has the facility to support the coach, remove a tire, reinstall the tire and torque the lug nuts to 450 to 500 ft lbs. This was my first one and I had about 3 hrs in removing the tire, R & R the air spring and reinstalling the tire & multiple hours in research and thought. Should be able to do it quicker next time.

Off to the RR tag to identify the tag air springs.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531