You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Identifying air bags

steve ward or clarke do you have any info on the airbags on your coaches?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I just wanted to add one tip to this thread about the front airbags on the Dana IFS. The 1 1/4 nut on the air inlet is nearly impossible to access because it is recessed in stanchion that air bag mounts to. However, if you take the top nuts loose and deflate the airbag completely, you can pry the bag down so the the nut is accessible on the underside on the stanchion. It was pretty easy to take a 1 1/4 wrench and a 1 1/8 wrench to loosen the connection.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Unicorns do exist. UPS delivered two to my doorstep yesterday.

I ordered the front air bags, W01-358-8087, on October 4, they arrived March 3. In their defense, SDStrucksprings kept me informed periodically on the delays they were getting from Firestone.

The ones I am taking off look to be in pretty good condition. I think Tuga replaced them around ten years ago. Given the rarity of these things I will keep them in storage if I or another guru finds themselves stranded.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Glad you got yours. Hope I get mine next week.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Now I am well and truly terrified.  I had planned to take my 98 #500 to Alaska this summer, but the thought of having a blowout half way up the Alcan leaves me cold, particularly if a blown bag makes the unit both undriveable and untowable.  Looks like I'll be out some cash to replace all my (what I suspect are original) airbags before undertaking this excursion.  This is one I don't think I can undertake myself since my automotive tools don't match up to the behemoth.  Everything is a trade off between time, money and effort--money wins this one.

Paul & Jane McCullough

Paul,

I think an inspection of the bags is a good investment of time, before you conclude anything.

I have had two air bag blowouts, both were due to exterior damage to the bag. One, hyd fluid from the rear slide had dripped on the bag for an extended period weakening the rubber. The second was taken out by a blown inner dual tire.

If the bags surface is heavily checked, or oozing bubbles when sprayed with soapy water then an all around replacement is called for. Other than that it's hard to put a time or mileage limit on them based on dozens of variables.

I not saying replace or don't replace. I am saying don't be terrified. Be informed.

If you do lose an airbag in the middle of who knows where, the suspension can be cribbed with wooden blocks in lieu of the air bag to get you to safety. The ride is rough, but I have done it, and so has one other guru. You do need at least one 20 ton bottle jack to get the coach off the tire though.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Got my new fronts yesterday. Hope to get installed before the end of the month here in Phoenix area.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

My front bags were looking a little weathered so I decided to replace them. I used the leveling system to raise the front as high as it would go and then blocked it up. I was surprised to find that the part of the bag that is folded under and runs against the aluminum bell on the bottom was crumbly. So, inspection requires getting the bag fully extended so you can see this normally hidden part. If they look pretty smooth I would drive them to Alaska, no problem. If I was worried I would carry a spare.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

"Now I am well and truly terrified. I had planned to take my 98 #500 to Alaska this summer, but the thought of having a blowout half way up the Alcan leaves me cold, particularly if a blown bag makes the unit both undriveable and untowable. Looks like I'll be out some cash to replace all my (what I suspect are original) airbags before undertaking this excursion. This is one I don't think I can undertake myself since my automotive tools don't match up to the behemoth. Everything is a trade off between time, money and effort--money wins this one."

Paul - you may make it fine, but the downside is huge. My coach is just a year newer than yours. I would not go on that trip without new bags. I do a lot of work on the coach myself, but I paid for the bag replacement. Peace of mind has some value. Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

I am posting for two reasons. One, if you are dumb as me and do this, here is the fix. Two, so that you can be entertained by my folly.

I was replacing the front air bags. On the first one the bottom plate holes would not line up with the bolt holes in the frame. If I had forced it, the bag would have had about 1/2 of twist in it. The bottom plate is bolted to the air bag assembly, and in theory should be free to rotate if the center bolt is loosened. Since the air bag folds over itself and then seats on the bottom plate, the plate cannot be simply rotated cause the rubber grips it too tightly. Being the rocket surgeon I am, I thought inflate the bag fully, rotate the plate, and good to go. Wrong. Oh the bag inflates fully, and does indeed release the bottom plate to rotate. Then I was left with the task of refolding the bag over itself to seat onto the bottom plate. The rubber is quite stiff, no way to get a grip on it, and the bag needs to be compressed to even start the process. A few minutes of struggle, and some new words produced no progress. Sorry no pictures, I wasn't in a photogenic state of mind at this point

Hmmmmm. Was I making this harder than it needed to be. I tried to imagine how this would be done in the manufacturing process.I I imagined a jig where a very slight pressure was applied to the bag and the top and bottom plate were held in place and moved towards each other. How am I going to cobble such a fixture? I didn't have anything to lose, so I wadded up the air bag and put it in place on the frame. The rubber part was all jacked up and wrong. I hooked the air line back up, and hit the UP button on the control panel. POP! It resumed it's correct shape. I did the happy dance.

Have a great Sunday, and a good laugh at my expense.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad