You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Classic shocks

In the midst of brake service , beginning at the front , I find that there is one shock absorber per side even though there are mounts for a second shock . On the left there is a radius in the undercoating that seems to indicate there was a shock there at one time . I was wondering if other classics in the group have one or two shocks per side in the front ?
 I will post findings as to the brakes in the appropriate area . 
Thanks,
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

My 1986 had only one Koni shock per wheel well.

Johnny
Former   1987 Newell series 60
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

My '82 only has one shock per wheel.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

My '87 came with 1 shock per side. I added a second per side at the front. Oh MY, WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT ! ! ! ! !

The road manners are greatly improved.

SOOOOOOO glad I did it.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Our 1985 came with two shocks on each side in the front. We still have the original invoice stating this was factory installed.

Mark and Melanie
1985 Newell 40’
#75 ? (still not confirmed)
First motor coach

We have two front shocks per wheel also.  1984

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Does anyone have a part number for replacement front shocks for a 2001 Newell? Original shocks were Bilstein AK1379 but have been discontinued and no one knows of a crossover to another manufacturer.

Front Koni 90-1710SP3
Rear Koni 90-1868
Tag Gabriel 85000 Normal or 89436 Adjustable

However, it is my understanding that the front Koni shock is no longer available. I have the front shocks in my shop right now. I will measure them fully extended and retracted in the morning. You could use that info and the front weight to get a suitable replacement.

I would send you to King. but the front shocks require modification to the front lower bracket.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard, I already replaced all the rears with the parts you mentioned but haven't been able to find the fronts.

The center of eyelet to center of eyelet measure for the Koni fronts now made of unobtanium is 13.25 compressed and 19.75 extended.  Here is a link to the KONI shock spec sheet. Easy enough to match min/max length, but I do not know what the rebound specs are for the existing shock, or would appropriate for a 17K front end.

However, I have peered under a number of coaches with the Dana IFS84 front end, and I have seen two different shock mounts. One has has the lower through bolt mounted below the A arm, and the other has the shock mount above the A arm. I don’t know if that would make a difference in the lengths above or not. It might be good to measure bolt to bolt with the coach all the way up and down. At least on my rig the lower shock mounts were clearly a Newell fab’d piece. 

If you find a replacement, please let us know. 

I have installed the King shocks on our rig, but the jury is still out. I sent them back for revalving after the test drive. I have not driven the coach since the reworked shocks were reinstalled. In their initial configuration they were way too soft for my taste. I had driven other coaches when the shocks were coming from RoadKing, and they were not that soft. I will report when I have a chance to drive.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )