You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Torquing lug nuts

A Guru friend of mine inquired about how I was torquing lug nuts, so I'll share with those who are interested. I called Newell & they stated all lug nuts on my coach should be torqued to 450 foot pounds.

Good truck tire shops use a 5' long torque wrench that is hinged and "breaks" when the torque is reached. I feel this is the best. They cost $600+ http://www.alltiresupply.com/p-TM750-1.html

There are also some heavy duty 500 pound torque wrenches. This is just an example: http://www.toolbarn.com/ampro-t39923.html

I have a Snap-On 4X multiplier that I use with a 1/2" drive torque wrench. The multiplier has a 10 to 20% loss, so I use 15% loss. 135 foot lbs on my torque wrench times 4 equals 540 foot pounds times .85 equals 459 foot pounds. The multiplier works best when working on a hard surface floor.

Others may use other tool or alternatives.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

You will laugh at mine. 6 ft pipe and jack stand. I stand on bathroom scales and press down until I weigh 75 less. 75 X 6 = 450 ft lbs

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,
As an engineer I hope you can answer my question. On the rear tires I use a 3/4" X 10" extension bar to get the multiplier outside the tire. Am I losing torque as compared to the front where I need no extension bar? I never laugh at some ones creativeness. We used to use a similar system of using bathroom scales to weigh the race car before they came out with electronic scales.

Thanks.....................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

(02-20-2013, 03:33 PM)rheavn Wrote:  Richard,
As an engineer I hope you can answer my question. On the rear tires I use a 3/4" X 10" extension bar to get the multiplier outside the tire. Am I losing torque as compared to the front where I need no extension bar? I never laugh at some ones creativeness. We used to use a similar system of using bathroom scales to weigh the race car before they came out with electronic scales.

Thanks.....................

Steve extensions do require a calculation usually there is a formula that is in the manual that came with the wrench. Or there are some online calculators.

Jimmy

I am assuming that you mean an extension straight out from the nut to clear the rim and tire. If you support that extension with a jack stand I wouldn't quibble over any loss of torque. If you don't support it that is a different story

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Jimmy,
I'll check the owner's manual. I don't remember seeing anything, but that doesn't mean there isn't something there. Thanks...........they are saying ice tonight & tomorrow. Be careful

Richard,
Thanks for your reply. I did leave out the part that I do support the extension.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I'm stuck in OKC sleet, rain and snow. My drive back is Friday be gone by then.

Jimmy

(02-20-2013, 01:57 PM)Richard Wrote:  You will laugh at mine. 6 ft pipe and jack stand. I stand on bathroom scales and press down until I weigh 75 less. 75 X 6 = 450 ft lbs

Ha, ha, I love it. A man who thinks out of the boxBig Grin

Chuck & Tela Millsap

Bullhead City, AZ

2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S

2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S Sold

2000 Wanderlodge LXi N/S Sold

'06 Jeep Liberty Toad

(02-20-2013, 01:57 PM)Richard Wrote:  You will laugh at mine. 6 ft pipe and jack stand. I stand on bathroom scales and press down until I weigh 75 less. 75 X 6 = 450 ft lbs

Expensive tools cost a bunch of money. This is priceless! Talk about not over thinking things. Love it!Tongue

Gary
(Sold) 82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT 35
Vancouver BC eh!

BTW Here is the Formula if you ever wnat to know:

Te x A / B = TW

A = Lever Length of wrench ; B = Lever Length of wrench plus extension ; Te = Required torque on bolt; Tw = Torque reading on wrench

Jimmy