You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

HWH Slide(s) slow to actuate

All,
After setting a while, when selecting either the salon slide or bedroom slide to open or close I hear the hydraulic motor run with no movement in the desired direction.  If I keep the switch pressed and run the system for several minutes the slide then moves with no issues. Can't tell if the locks release immediately or just before the room moves.  For sure, on extending the salon, when the sequence commands the floor to come up it does not come up level for 30 to 40 seconds.....all the while I have the switch pressed to extend.  It seems to me the fluid in the lines have drained back to the tank. The pump running then recharges the lines. Is there a check valve that keeps the lines pre-charged with fluid that is common to all the hydraulic circuits of the system?

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

that pump takes a lot of power. are you running it on battery power or with the coach running?

if my batteries are fully charged and i am plugged in, i can do my slides just fine.

i would start with making sure that it is getting enough power.

my two cents worth

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,
Coach is running on fast idle and plugged in.....house batteries fully charged with chassis batteries charged other than an engine start.  Which batteries supply power to the slides?

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

There is not a check valve, but the either the retract or extend solenoids could be leaking.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Could the hydraulic fluid be low? Not sure if you check with the slides in or out.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Check with slides in.

If you fill the tank with slides out, and then you retract, it makes a mess. This is a confirmed data point.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Been thinking about this.

Low fluid. Slide would not fully extend.
Draining fluid. Highly unlikely since multiple solenoids would have to be leaking for behavior to follow both salon and bedroom.

This leaves low hyd pressure as something to investigate. Two potential causes would be low voltage or ground at pump, best case. Or failing pump.

There are two relays that control pump power. A little one on the circuit boards, which triggers a bigger external relay in the front bay.

This could be the wrong track. When the rooms finally do start, are they slow? Is it extend and retract? When you said sitting for a while, after you extend them once do they then respond as you would suspect?

Just thinking out loud and in public.

First and easy diagnostic is to beg Doris to hold the button, and you check voltage at the big relay. I now you said you hear the motor run, but being a DC motor, it's oomph is controlled by the voltage.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Checked voltage at the big pump relay.....12.8v.  Checked fluid level....that's good.  Checked for loose pump ground and hot lead to the motor all good.  When and if the salon room starts moving it moves at the regular speed with no indications of air trapped in the system.

Spoke with Randy at HWH Tech Support.....he wanted to know if the bedroom slide worked normally....it does with no issues.  That tells us the system pressure switch is working.  So that is a good sign.  That sends us to the room #1 logic board.  He sent a couple of wiring diagrams that I spent several nights trying to make some sense out of and finally as able to do some troubleshooting this morning in the following sequenced bullet points;
  • Verified the bedroom slide operation (Room #2 of 2) with no issues.
  • Moved to Salon Slide (Room #1 of 2) Starting with room extended and floor level. Selected "retract" floor dropped immediately.  Did not hear the room locks unlock....then nothing ran the pump 30 seconds or so with no slide or lock movement.
  • Tried to go back to extend i.e. where I started from....the floor did not come up with the pump running 30 seconds.
  • Now I am looking at Room #1 logic board
  • Before moving to check voltage and grounds, (based on previous threads where HWH Logic boards had ribbon cable issues) removed and re-seated each connector and ribbon connector...found a Molex connector not completely seated....an ah ha moment. 
  • Went back to the switch to operate the room.  With the room extended, the floor down and unknown lock positions I selected extend.....nothing.  Love taping the slide room in the area of the upper locks, selected extend and viola the floor went level and locks actually locked down completing the extend sequence.
  • With a now known position, selected retract, immediately the retract sequence started and the room went fully retracted and locked with no issues.
  • Selected extend the full extended sequence completed and locked extended with no issues.
So to recap, the loose connector may be a Red Herring but the upper locks my have stuck and got out of sequence some how.  I will be monitoring in the next few days to see if it is truly fixed.  Do the upper locks have a built in position switch to tell the logic board where they are in their respective travel?

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Another point is when you checked the voltage at the relay or motor did you check with the motor running?
I've seen where a loose or bad connection (as your plug) can show good voltage but when the motor starts the voltage drops. As the motor pulls amps the voltage drops due to the bad connection. Had an A/C receptacle at my son's house do this and found a hot wire broken inside the insulation. The receptacle showed good voltage until you plugged in a fan or vacuum.
Hope your fix did the trick!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

newell used two different ways of detecting the slides to be in our out before extending the pins. and some coaches extend the pins both extended and retracted and some only when retracted.

my 02 only puts the pins down when the slides are in. not when they are out.

the first way of detecting the slide is in is using round super magnets the size of a dime that are glued next to the slide lock pin hole on top of the slide. it has a sensor on the slide lock block where the pin is located and when it detects the magnet (both sides of slide) it will put the pins down. it is common for the magnets to come loose and then the pins not go down.

the other way is with limit switches on the mechanisms. most of the coaches with that put the pins down both extended and retracted.

by the way, both newell and hwh say that it is safe to drive with the slide pins not working. i have driven thousands of miles with them not down. one thing i have found is that the pins help to align the slide at the top when they are down.

later

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH