You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Replacing roof ac’s

Hey Guys/Gals, 

My zone 2 ac has gone bad in my coach #1242. I have decided to replace all 4 units instead of just the one as I’m sure the rest are close to end of life as well.  I have replaced Coleman roof ac in past on my past Airstreams so familiar w the process but my one question is, how to access the interior plenum w/ the decorative ceiling? Are the panels clipped in or secured in different way? 

I just got my coach back from Newell so it’s too bad I didn’t have this issue prior or I would have had them complete the work. I also don’t trust anyone else working on my coach besides myself and Newell bc I have come to realize most RV repair facilities could careless if they cause damage while making repairs.

Thanks in advance for any helpful tips!

Matt Whitaker

Coach 1242 & 606
Tesla Model X. Tesla Model 3. Mclaren 12C. Ferrari 458

Matt, the ones I have seen are held in place with the standard 10 lb latch at one end.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard! I bet your right as I don’t think the ceiling decor/glass is removable from my prefer inspection. I’m going to call Mike at Newell in morning since I need to speak to him about my other Coach they have in service and going to get some details from him. I appreciate your feedback Richard!

Matt Whitaker

Coach 1242 & 606

I replaced my #1 A/C with the Coleman Mach 15 as that’s what I was told was recommended and what Newell uses. However, after removing and beginning installation of my new unit it became apparent that this new unit has no drain line and pump like the unit I’m replacing. This unit condensation has a catch pan and 2 small holes for the water to drain on roof. I don’t want the water draining on roof. Doesn’t anyone know if there is an aftermarket solution?

Matt Whitaker

Coach 1242 & 606

Foretravel uses the Colemans and ties a small 110V pump into the compressor.  When the compressor runs it pumps the condensation from the catch basin to a drain hose at the rear of the coach.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

When newell added my single roof air, they used small diameter PVC pipe to collect the condensate and then ran down along generator exhaust path to under the coach. (My generator exhaust is on the roof).

Potentially, you could gather up all the condensation in a long pipe on roof and then go down through the fiberglass at rear of coach thus avoiding a pump which could break.

Just a thought.

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

When I replaced my number 1 A/C on my Newell I used the Coleman Mach 8 which had the condensate pump as part of the unit. The unit provided lots of cool air, was quieter than the original unit, and hooked up great to the drain line.

Oscar & Janet Valent
Full timing
2004 Foretravel U320 3820 PBBS
2007 Newell Coach #815 - Great Coach Sold
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

We have two Mach 8s with drain lines and pumps, and two without that just make a lake on the roof. A general lack of good roof drain/gutter design is annoying, at least for coaches in our timeframe. I asked about at the factory, and they just kind of shrugged and said, "yeah, that does sound annoying." Ha!

2008 Newell #1234
Boulder, CO

I put a new A/C on my Airstream TT a few years ago. I think it was a Dometic . There was a kit you could buy that replaced the little "spouts" on the pan with fittings to route the water to a pipe on the roof that ran down through a wall and drained under the trailer.

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/dom...t-vts-079/

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I spoke w Newell today. They recommend the Mach 8 w built in condensation pump. I already have drain lines built into coach so it’s as simple as attaching hose and your finished. I originally went w the Mach 15 after speaking w Coleman rep and he said the 15’s would do slightly beer job cooking my coach. He forgot to mention the part about no condensation pump. The other thing I didn’t like is there a few inches taller than my current A/C’s so you can see them sitting above top of coach. I should have the 4 Mach 8’s by Monday and I plan to install them next Saturday. I appreciate everyone’s feedback and hope I can help someone in future from making same mistake as myself!

Matt Whitaker

Coach 1242 & 606