You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New design for LED tail light

Guy, I agree! I love the fact that you can trace a design theme over 30-40 years. It's also amazing how well Newell takes components from different vehicles and repurposes them for use on coaches. As some of the parts age out and stop being made...I suspect we will be doing more updating to more current vintage parts.

When I designed the tail lights, I wanted them to look like Newell lights but with a slightly more modern vibe....in my opinion I think I did pretty well in that regard. With that said....I very much respect the purists who want their coach to look completely original.

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Guy and Bill,

It's funny you mention the re-purposing of lights. I replaced the "Yard lights" on our 2003 and recognized them right away, they are the bed light for a 73 - 87 Chevy pickup

Ron & Jennifer Ward
2003 Newell Show Coach #643 (Racer Bus) Triple Slide, DD 60
Visalia, CA

I washed the coach today and took a beauty shot of the back of coach with the new lights....enjoy!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Got it done!

I love these new tail lights! Not only are they much brighter than the old ones but I think they look great on the Newell. 

I had the trims powder coated black and I used weatherpack connectors on the wiring so they get good connections and can easily be removed if they need replacement. I also put the resistors in the engine compartment cabinet so I didn't have to splice any wires and they are mounted on metal so no heat issues.

Thanks again Bill

Ron & Jennifer Ward
Visalia, CA

looks great ron,

a little trick that avoids the use of resistors. i did it on my hot rod and took the resistors out since they got so hot.

use an automotive 12v relay instead. the coil resistance is usually between 50 and 200 ohms and you probably used a 50ohm resistor

use just the coil and leave the other connections undone doesnt get hot. as you know it goes in parallel

my hot rod had originally been wired with load resistors. and one of them was getting blazing hot. and was just hung under the dash where it could touch other wires. i mounted a relay and it works nicely now. no heat.

just a thought

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Ron,

Great job! Coach was pretty before but with the new tail lights it is gorgeous!

I have sent the template file to several folks but this is the third confirmed upgrade.

Tom,
Thanks for the tip.

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I see many more coaches getting this upgrade!

I also made it so I can put the original lights and trim back on if I ever want to sell it and someone wants back to original.

Tom,

Thanks for the idea but before I mounted them I ran my emergency flashers for around 10 minutes and they didn’t put off hardly any heat.

Ron & Jennifer Ward
Visalia, CA

i can tell you that they got blazing hot in my hot rod.

the relay works very well.

whatever works for sure.

the lights look very nice

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

What is the access point to start the removal of the OG lights?

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

If you have 6 lights on each side, you remove the bezel surrounding the lights. Look for screws between the lights. Once the bezel is off, the lights can be removed one at a time.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama