You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Classic Newell generator blower mystery

Our Perkins  genny shut down due to over heating. We now know that the Murphy Switch protection system works, even after 36 years.  After a good look at the generator system, which I really have not done in 4 years of ownership, I found some things that confuse me. There are some modifications that were done a long long time ago judginging by rust and debris. I know the previous owner well, and am sure that these mods were done before he bought the coach.

The 3/4 120 volt blower motor had blown fuse protection installed (inline) on the incoming hot and common wires about 6 inches from the motor. They are standard automotive 30 amp 30 volt ? Yes 30 volt rated  fast acting blade fuses.

Motor was non op due to the pinching of the 120v lead on the motor frame. Perhaps that was why a prevoius owner had installed fuses on the motor?

The belt pully has been stressed and broken. Before removal I checked belt alignment and it was good, there was no side load.The photo makes it look as though it is not in alignment, but it is right on.  I had noticed cracks in the pully a year ago.

There is no way to adust belt tension. The motor base holes are not slotted.

The base area of the cabinet has been cut out with a torch at some time in the past. Maybe to let the air horns mounted inside to be heard?  Smile The motor had a lot of road debris around  it from the hole cut in the floor area  Doesn't this stop the cooling process the same as leaving the  cabinet door open ?

Can one of you Classic guys post pictures of your genny cabinet?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

The hole in the floor probably interferes with the cooling same as an open door, but also you are bringing in hot, road temp air into the compartment.

Emerson A.
1997 Newell #443
2008 Jeep Wrangler

My thought exactly. I have learned that for every "mod" there is a reason, good or bad. It will be interesting to see what Gurus think motivated the torch job.....

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

That wire insulation being worn away looks like it could easily be the cause of the blown fuse. Obviously the pulley will need to be replaced. I would try to cover that hole in the floor on a temporary basis and see what difference it makes. If it helped, Newell would have likely left it open in the first place.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I agree with Michael , that wire appears to be your blown fuse . Not sure what effect the hole in the floor is having on air flow into the fan , air does funny things as you drive through it . Our fan motor is direct drive , I wonder if your fan was direct originally and changed to belt drive for some reason. I will get some pictures of the fan compartment and post them this evening or in the morning . Curious about the broken pulley .
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

The floor hole would be alright for air flow except , as EArnold3, stated,  it allows hot air to enter the intake of the fan.  If it weren’t for that issue it wouldn’t hurt.

I’m not positive on this age of installation but most induced cooling fans motors are 240V and use a three wire (black white green) cord.  The white could be a hot leg so don’t assume without checking with a voltmeter.  The automotive fuses are better than nothing but they should be reconfigured for the proper voltage.  

Your statement was “the motor can’t be moved because the motor base holes are not slotted”.  The picture sure looks like slotted holes, maybe you mean they used different mounting holes than the slotted holes.  There are a couple of fixes.  1. Remount using the slotted holes.  2. Mount the motor on a plate that is hinged on one side.  The weight of the motor or a spring assists the belt tension.  

I wish you good luck on your repairs.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Good eye Gordon. I don't know how I missed the slots on the motor base. My only excuse is that it was a senior moment.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Our fan motor is 220 unit as Gordon says . I replaced it about two years ago . The compartment is not much wider than the fan , intended to get measurement , slipped my mind (Sr. moment? ).

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Chris, is the area between the blower and your front bumper part of an air plenum for the genny cooling?

Btw, thank you for taking time to post the photo.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

The boxed area is not a part of the plenum , I think the speaker for the musical horn is in there among other things . I will get pictures and post .
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand