You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fantastic Fans

My fans aren't working at all anymore. Does anyone  know where the fuses are?  Before they quit altogether they would work only when controlled locally, the switches on the panel above the galley and inside the bathroom never have had any impact on their operation.  Any guesses as to why that would be?

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

there are fuses in the unit themselves. in addition look for blade fuses in the rear power panel where the circuit breakers are.

how did you turn them on if the switches didnt work? i would check the switch itself

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I can turn the unit in the bathroom on with the switch on the unit and manually opening the hood. The one over the washing machine doesn't do anything since I can't get the hood to rise manually or automatically. Obviously there isn't a fuse problem (at least on the one) since I removed my head from it's place of darkness and remembered to open the hood.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

Something that seems odd is that when i check the voltage across the galley panel and wall switches I only get about 3/4 of a volt, it should be either 12 or 120 right. Don't know if the fans are ac or dc.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

When I replaced one of mine 2 years ago I learned that a direct replacement wired for a wall switch is not available. With very minor rewiring you can get them to work with a wall switch.

Just a thought, but perhaps yours have been replaced with the newer units that aren't set up for a wall switch out of the box. Perhaps the installer decided operating them locally was satisfactory.

David and MaryLynn Kammeraad
1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse

Could well have been, I'll have to get the mdl number off of it and call Dometic.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

Fantastic fans are 12VDC as far as I know, at least I’ve never seen a 120V fan.   They have a switch that is operated by the cover going up.  It takes the motor to ground upon opening and opens the ground connection when closing.  They can become corroded.  

Applying 12VDC from a remote switch should cause the lift motor to operate.  If not start at the lift motor with your diagnosis.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Thanks for the in input, I'll start there and see how it goes.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

@"Jackflash"  Did you by any chance find the model number for the vents?

I swear I had it at one point in time as I called Dometic for support at one point. But for the life of me, I cannot find a sticker inside either one of my vents and I don't seem to have the manual for them in my collection of manuals.

Paul
Coach #540
2000 Double Slide, Bath and a half, Average sized fan for its age
Fulltiming for a while around CO

I had a Fantastic Fan quit on a previous Coach. I called Fantastic and they sent me another, no cost, no questions. I'm having a problem with my rear fan now and need to do more research to find out why its not working, but I thought I could get a replacement for free again if its the fan itself.  The replacement was was done about 10 years ago.

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.