You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

75 Coach - Cummins ISC upgrade suggestions

Thanks Richard - appreciate your insight. As always I think you're correct.
From what I've read online it appears that this does have a limit of 65mph. From talking to the seller he ran these buses in his tour business for a number of year's. I'll check with him, I'm also hoping to buy a set of manuals off him which should help if he's agreeable.

For my coach that speed is probably the limit anyway. When I drove it up from Indianapolis Indiana to Jenison Michigan the sweet spot for speed was about 58 mph when listening to the engine. My guess is this is because of the Carter years 55mph laws. At least that's my guess anyway. I'd bet to improve the top end speed I'd need to change the rear axle gear's. Not impossible, but I'd worry the drum air brakes might not be up to the task for quick stops.

I've never seen a 8.3l ISC engine up close. Just pictures on the internet. It is huge!! and the transmission also is. It's also a 24v system which surprised me a little also. It has the side radiator which if it will fit would be nice. I thought my Navstar 9.0 litre was big - this thing takes it to a whole different level. This is also a full frame cut so everything is there including hundreds of wiring and connections with a number of rear boxes and tubes running everywhere. This has a Voith 5 speed automatic with a retarder - at least it looks like it to me. I'll most likely replace that and go with a Allison 3000 World Transmission before this is done. The overall unit is dirty and greasy - needs a full on cleanup before I get started. The transmission oil and engine oil both look great. I'll be sending in samples in a few weeks to see though.

I'm pretty good with a schematic, but may have bit off more then I can chew. Time will tell. If I can get it setup - tested and running on the frame, I should be able to pull additional information from the ECM. I'm pretty sure my tester will connect.

The more I look at it I think this is a pretty crazy idea, but boy if I can make it work if should get me up and down the hills a lot better then what my current drivetrain can do.

My current setup works so that will be what I try first. At the price I paid for this I don't think I'll be hurt even if I decide to sell it. I like having an upgrade option, however after looking at it I should have gone with a Navstar 466 or a Cummins 5.9 or 6.7. Everything I've read has pointed to the Cummins 8.3l.
Oh well should be interesting.

John and Marcia Marshall 
1975 Newell 30ft - 9.0 IHC
1986 Navstar 9.0 Diesel 160hp
98 Mustang GT
getting closer
ASE Master & Computer Admin
Love old tech  Idea

Messages In This Thread
75 Coach - Cummins ISC upgrade suggestions - by superbirds - 10-23-2020, 02:35 PM
RE: 75 Coach - Cummins ISC upgrade suggestions - by Richard - 10-23-2020, 05:04 PM
RE: 75 Coach - Cummins ISC upgrade suggestions - by MrE - 10-24-2020, 11:36 AM
RE: 75 Coach - Cummins ISC upgrade suggestions - by superbirds - 10-24-2020, 04:39 PM
RE: 75 Coach - Cummins ISC upgrade suggestions - by superbirds - 10-24-2020, 05:37 PM
RE: 75 Coach - Cummins ISC upgrade suggestions - by MrE - 10-24-2020, 09:27 PM
RE: 75 Coach - Cummins ISC upgrade suggestions - by superbirds - 10-25-2020, 08:03 AM
RE: 75 Coach - Cummins ISC upgrade suggestions - by superbirds - 10-27-2020, 05:54 AM
RE: 75 Coach - Cummins ISC upgrade suggestions - by MrE - 10-27-2020, 10:24 AM