You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Need new air tank

In what seems like a never ending quest to find all air leaks, I have now repaired the air tank that sits above the genset blower in the first basement compartment on the right side for the third time. The inside of the tank is rusty due to the previous owners not draining the tank. I have looked at production air tanks but can not find one that is the same size with the same size pipe thread air ports. The original has a 1/4 npt port on the bottom, 1/4" npt port on the end and a 1/2" port on top. The tank is 6" in diameter and 23" long. The tank is a 2.5 gallon.

Has anyone replaced this tank, with a like tank, on their coach? If so what was your source?

Has anyone replaced this tank with an aftermarket tank on their coach? Which one did you use?

Does anyone know someone who builds custom air tanks?

PS: Not all Newells have this air tank

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

steve, i see you have an electrical outlet in that picture. what is it for?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

http://www.airbagit.com/Air-Tanks-p/airtank-03-stl.htm

a little shorter and a little bigger around.

seems like the connections you could adapt to. not sure it matters exactly what size they are.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Googled the size & found a bunch but all w 1/4" fittings. The top blue hose in your picture looks to be 3/8". When does it go ?
Could have that bung changed & have less than $100 in it with a little plumbing.

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

Gordon,
The blue line is 3/8" that then adapts to a 1/2" npt port. It goes over to some type of valve on the left side of the coach. The blue line is marked as " Air Brake Line PFT-6B SAE J844 Type 3B 3/8 OD A DOT.

I don't think I want to drop the volume of the 3/8" line. I found air tanks that were the same size too, but all had only 1/4" NPT ports. That's the problem. I have found a 2 gallon tank that will work, but is smaller.

Below is a picture of the air valve...........

Tom,
Nothing has ever been plugged into it, since I've owned it. It is alive.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve, what I meant was to change out a 1/4" bung on a new tank to a 3/8" bung for that blue line.
It goes to a manifold to supply ?
OR you could run 2 X 1/4" lines in place of the 1 X 3/8. would be about 1% less volume
OR just add a 1/4" line & plumb the 3/8" kine into a 1/4" port
OR

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

Thanks Gordon,
My next option was to have a 3/8" threaded sleeve welded in a new tank. Just wasn't sure how DOT compliant that would be.

Now let me see if I got you right. If I use two of the 1/4" ports in the new tank & "T" it into the 3/8" line I wouldn't lower the volume? If I have that right, that is a good option. I can easily find tanks with the 1/4" ports.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

The threaded sleeve you are refering to is what I am calling a bung. I don't believe that tank is used in the brake system, ie not DOT controlled.

3/8" line has a volume of .110 cu in
2 x 1/4" .098 cu in = 3% less.

In your picture I see 6 x 1/4" lines comming out of the manifold that is supplied by that 3/8" line.
acording to my math? only 2 could be supplied with full volume @ any one time so I don't see a problem with a compromise.

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

(03-03-2013, 02:24 PM)Gordon Wrote:  The threaded sleeve you are refering to is what I am calling a bung. I don't believe that tank is used in the brake system, ie not DOT controlled.

3/8" line has a volume of .110 cu in
2 x 1/4" .098 cu in = 3% less.

In your picture I see 6 x 1/4" lines comming out of the manifold that is supplied by that 3/8" line.
acording to my math? only 2 could be supplied with full volume @ any one time so I don't see a problem with a compromise.
I agree that this tank is a supply and nothing to do with the brakes. Do you have a tank in front of the drive axle pass side? This is usually fill by the 12v air compressor to run the toilet and doors. My 96 nor the 2004 do not have a tank in the blower bay and both are located in front of drive axle. I really don.t think that the volume would be that important on that line. My main supply tank is in the rear, front and rear brake tank front of coach with the aux 12v tank in front of axle. All are filled by all three compressors with the two brake tanks,( with one way valves)to were air can not go back into the system and is for brakes only.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Gotta agree with the others they probably used DOT airline for something that is not DOT regulated. That's what I do, all my spare fittings and airline are DOT so they can be used on the brakes or anywhere else.
I worked for a gas pipeline where typical pressures were 1000psi. This is low pressure stuff. There should be no practical restriction on the top line whether it is 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2" connection.
As far as the tank any fab shop should be able to make you one, maybe even in aluminum. Heck schedule 80 pvc is rated for 167psi!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337