You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Which 4x4 to tow?

Since we have a place in Colorado and will be spending our summers there I'm thinking of buying a 4x4 vehicle to leave there rather than towing our Tahoe from home each year.  I want an suv smaller than our Tahoe that is still flat towable and seats 4 adults.  There are so many 4x4 trails near us that I want something offroad capable with low range and good clearance.  On my short list are Jeep Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, Commander, Hummer H3, older 4Runner/Lexus GX470, Xterra manual.  Had a couple Liberty's but want something more capable offroad and better driving onroad.  It's an hour to town just for groceries.  I would love a Range Rover or Discovery but concerned about reliability.  
It will be left over the winter where we get 150" of snow so not looking for new.  I do have electricity there so can leave a battery maintainer hooked to it but it will be uncovered.
What are your thoughts?  It'll probably be split 50/50 on and off road.  We're fairly close to Lake City so the Alpine Loop is a good example of the trails we'll be doing with the ability to do more challenging trails a +.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I have had :
1984 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis edition
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited diesel
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V6
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
Jeeps seem to get a bad "rap" for quality but my Grand Cherokee's have been almost trouble free. I ran the 1997 to 200,000 miles. I mostly bought dealer demo or off lease that were nearly new. There's a good chance that the more "used" jeeps may have been more "abused". There seems to be a lot of difference in the trim levels....Limited and above models feel more solid and quiet.
Jeep Commanders get less than stellar reviews...I think because of the miserable V6 most were equipped with. I like the style of them though.
If I were looking at other brands Toyota or Subaru (The "State" car of Colorado!!). I'm not sure which if any of those can be towed 4 down. It will be very difficult to beat the dependability of GM's Tahoe-Suburbans.
I'm thinking FMCA has an annual guide to which vehicles can be towed four down.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Forest, check any vehicle with the Motorhome magazine dingy guide

I personally love my Range Rover, but I have bought special diagnostic software in order to maintain it without taking it to the dealer. It's a 2004 and I believe it's the last year that can be towed 4 wheels down from the factory.

I have a good friend that swears by the Jeep Cherokee with the 4 liter inline 6. Those would be easier to find and less expensive to maintain.

Just my 2 cents.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Your short list looks good.  I did notice you included a Lexus GX470.  I don't know if it is towable 4 down.  We have a GX460, basicly the same, but it is not towable 4 down.  And although advertised as an off road capable vehicle with the KDSS suspension only the rear suspension can be raised and ground clearance isn't that great especially considering approach and departure angles with all that plastic hanging on front and back.
At Newell earlier this fall there was a couple towing one of the new Jeep Gladiators.  Long wheelbase and a pickup bed to boot.  Toyota's Tacoma and the older Land Cruisers fit that bill too and have been available for years.  Although I admit the old Land Cruisers have been compared to buckboards as far as ride quality.
Having lived year round in Middle Park Colorado at 8K ft where we had 2 seasons, 4th of July and Winter, I recall the importance of protecting the vehicle against freezing. A vehicle left outside will have gelatin for oil and most everyone used a block heater to protect the engine.  Then there's the battery to consider, along with the critters who may decide to eat your wiring in that nice warm environment you've created to heat your engine.
Have fun with your search.  Looks like a Christmas present may be waiting under the tree.

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

You can take the Subaru off your list. The problem is that it must a manual in order to tow, and it doesn’t have a low range. In low speed situations, the clutch would not last very long because you have to slip it so much to creep along.

Typically ride quality and off road capability are trade offs. Which way are you leaning?

And, if you are going to leave it out there, does the narrow list of choices outweigh having to drive it out to CO?

Just wondering out loud.

And did you consider a Chevy Colorado 4 X 4? Longer wheelbase for on highway ride, ground clearance for off road, pickup bed for firewood and what not?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Since it's an hour highway drive to town we want something with good highway manners. And would need to drive an hour or more to most of the offroad trails. I'd love a 2 door Wrangler but would get tired of driving it on the road pretty quickly. That's what's leading me more to an older 4Runner/Lexus or a Grand Cherokee with maybe a mild lift. Since It'll be left out in the weather I don't want to get anything too new. I may end up just buying an older jeep to keep there and still tow the Tahoe back and forth.
Don't want to give up my Tahoe. It is 4x4 with low range and other than the size and clearance it's offroad capable. More so if I add a lift and skid plates. Next summer I'll talk to neighbors who leave vehicles up on the mountain over the winter. And do some exploring with the Tahoe to see where it'll take me while still stock.
Winegrower I've been in contact with a couple people who are towing a GX470. With the manual transfer case with neutral they haven't had any problems. I think 1998-2007 model 100 is towable but not recommended in the owners manual.
Good ideas, thanks.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest,
Thank you for the Lexus information. I wasn't aware of the transfer case change that made the difference. I will say that the Lexus is a very comfortable and quiet vehicle.
Bob

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

Since you had a Lexus on your list you might also consider the Toyota Land Cruiser, which is Toyota's highest end 4x4 SUV.  Not sure what years would be dinghy towable, but years ago they were easily one of the best 4x4's you could get and had very good road manners.

Drove one around the middle east in 2004 including off road in the sand dunes with slightly larger tires and low tire pressures and went places my older inline 6 Cherokee at home could only dream about.

Doug and Cathy Musick
Coach 370
1994, 45', non-slide
DD60, Allison 741

Ok after lots of research I've decided on a Grand Cherokee with V8 and Quadra Trac II or Quadra Drive since I'll be towing it.
I'm also limiting my search to a 2004 through 2010. It looks like the latest models are too close to the size of my Tahoe and that's too big for the trails I want to explore. Also want to limit the complexity with the newest ones since it won't have a warranty.
I'll probably put a 2-3" lift on whatever I buy. And not sure yet if I'll leave it in Colorado over the winter or just tow it back home. If anybody sees a nice one with low (under 100,000) miles please let me know. I don't mind traveling for a good price on a nice one.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

The search is over. I've looked at and driven a 4 door Wrangler, Hummer H3, Grand Cherokee, Commander, and last a GX470.
The Wrangler was ok, kinda noisy, not as tight steering on the highway, but it's a jeep. The H3 was more comfortable and quieter than the Wrangler but still not a great highway cruiser. The Grand Cherokee and Commander were both much nicer on the highway and with a lift would be ok offroad. The Lexus? Wow! what a beast. It is quieter and drives on the highway as good as or slightly better than my Tahoe. So I bought a 2006 GX470 with 2" lift and new AT tires. Good maintenance, new brakes & rotors. Got a baseplate coming in Monday so once that's done and I add tow lights it'll be ready to tow. Good highway cruiser was a requirement since we'll probably drive it back to Louisiana at least once each summer.
Thanks for everyone's input.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337