You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Installing a relay to power cozy fans

Ok hopefully an electrical guru will validate if my circuit drawing for wiring up a relay to power my cozy fan that we can't seem to find the  trigger thermostat signal to power it.

I have talked to Rudy (thank you for your time sir!)

So I drew this up hoping I'm doing this right on paper first!

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive

In the Aqua Hot world, the ground signal is the switched wire. The + wires are energized all the time. Use a fan - wire to trigger the relay.

The fan + wire(s) should be removed from the board and and connected to one side of the through put connections of the relay. A separate source of fused battery power is connected to the other side of the through put of the relay using normally open connections on the relay.

You do not use the fan + connection on the board. This removes the fan load from the board which is the purpose of the relay.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Thank you Rudy! That is why it's good to ask questions you are not sure of. No dumb questions!

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

Where are you installing the relay? And where are you getting your signal?

The reason I ask is, if you are installing in the AH bay and getting your signal from the terminal strip on the AH, Rudy is spot on.

If you are taking the signal directly from the TSAT, then it will provide a positive trigger.

I could not tell from your diagram.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, that first pic was flawed. After seeing Rudy's post I redid what I think is the correct relay wiring. I am trying to power pump 3 and the fan associated with it..

Wiring is not a strong point for me so I have to depend on folks that are more versed in electrical wiring

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

Got it !!! So get the relay, and use two jumper wires with alligator clips on the end to hook 85 and 86 to positive and neg terminal 1. Just test it this way before going to the trouble of hard wiring it. The relay should click and you should have continuity between 30 and 87 when the tsat calls for heat.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

I would take the ground lead from the fan to ground near by the fan. Just use the board ground a the signal to the cube relay. This way no return current from the fan(s) through the board.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Ok I took a step back just for a second to rethink what the issue could be. I find that thermostat zone 3 in the coach turns on AH zone pump 1 with 3 cozy fans, thermostat zone 1 in coach operates AH pump 3 and turns on cozy fan at mid ship, now this will only happen if I jumper it to work  Without jumping pump 3 DOES NOT COME ON

My first choice would be to make it work as it should.

What is the reason that the pump and fans doesn't kick on by itself?  that is the question!

Newell tech support says it's the Thermostat, I'm not sure why that would be it since the zone 3 kicks on immediately.  When a/c units were installed a few years ago, they changed from a Dometic Duo Therm to a Dometic CCC Could that make that much of a difference?

According to this Diag, you can only power AH pump 3 off of #5 zone, so moving the trigger wire from #5 Therm I to another spot is a no go.
Does this make sense or am I seeing something wrong?

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

I would back up two steps more. First determine which tstat zones power which wires. Mark them with labels.

Next determine which zones on the AH correspond with which zones on the interior of the coach.

You can test the invidual zones on the AH by grounding the trigger wire.

Only when you know these two things, can you marry the right zone in the coach to the right zone in the AH to the right tsat zone.

You don't know what a previous owner or tech may have done. So best start with a clean slate. In the end you will gain a much deeper understanding of how the system works.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Richard,

I would back up two steps more. First determine which tstat zones power which wires. Mark them with labels.
Tstat zone 1 powers  AH pump zone 3 wire which is FS Front Ship. I use the term powers loosely 
Tstat zone 3 powers AH Pump zone 1 wire RS Rear Ship  

Next determine which zones on the AH correspond with which zones on the interior of the coach.
AH Pump 1 zone heats 2 cozy fans in bedroom and 1 cozy fan in bathroom
AH Pump 2 zone is set as a "stir" pump + it sends hot water to MS Midship but no fans come on with the stir pump, so whenever I turn on the aquahot pump 2 powers on for three to five minutes and then powers down. There seems to be no Tstat zone associated with pump 2
AH pump zone 3 is controlled by Tstat zone 1

You can test the invidual zones on the AH by grounding the trigger wire.
per the wiring diagram in my last post, AH pump zone 1 (rear bedroom) can only be triggered by Tstat Zone 3. Now with the tstat turned completely off you can ground #1 "Therm I & #1 Therm O together and AH pump 1 plus fans come on. This is a good thing!!

AH pump zone 2  utilizes #2 Therm I & O, #3 Therm I & O and #4 Therm I & O. With inside tstat OFF you can ground #2,3 &4 and each one will trigger and turn on AH Pump 2,  This is good too because as the wiring diagram shows pump 2 2 should turn on.

Now we come to the issue zone;  AH pump zone 3 goes to FS Front ship but has MS Mid ship fans connected to this zone because it is controlled by Tstat zone 1 which is what you want so that when heat is called for MS fans will remain On until Tstat Zone 1 is turned off or temp is met in Tstat zone 1.  Here in lies the problem you can only get AH pump Zone 3 & MS Midship fans to come on by "jumping"
#5 Therm I & therm O together. 

So my uneducated mind tells me if I jump #5 therm I & O together and AH pump zone 3 and MS fans BOTH come on inside the coach what is preventing this from happening automatically?

Only when you know these two things, can you marry the right zone in the coach to the right zone in the AH to the right tsat zone.

You don't know what a previous owner or tech may have done. So best start with a clean slate. In the end you will gain a much deeper understanding of how the system works.

You are absolutely correct I have no idea if anyone did anything. I have been looking at this for the past five days and the only thing that gives me heartache is this all seems to be connected the way it's supposed to be yet zone 3 and ms fans will not come on unless jumped.  This is my dilemma.

In the end I could just wire up the fans via a relay but I want to know the actual cause of it not working.

Steerable tag 
Allison trans