You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Changes in the chassis/drivability/livability through the years.
seeing that vinyl flooring makes me smile. newell must have bought a zillion square yards of that stuff.

tom
2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Ha ! Our coach has bits and pieces in closets of the very same pattern from fall 1983 ! Smile
Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Michael, This Cruisair label is on the heaters. Sorry about the irrelevant pic. I couldn’t delete it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1993 Newell 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '13 Grand Cherokee.
Impressive! 18 amps each. 18 amps at 115 volts (using the sticker rather than the plate voltage) would be 2070 watts or 7063 btu for each of the 4 for a total of just over 28k Btu's or about the same as one propane furnace. Running all four doesn't leave much headroom for other electrical usage (refrigerator, battery charger, electric water heater, cooktop, coffee pot, microwave) but it would cover most needs if you stay in above freezing weather or get the coach warm and keep it closed up. Rather ingenious solution.

Looks like they started out as a propane coach and had to improvise as soon as someone decided no propane on board. You do have a unique coach there. Not sure I am aware of another all electric Newell without an Aqua Hot.
Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com
Thanks Jon and Michael for the additional info on the 80s models! You guys are a wealth of knowledge!
Steve Burleson 

Retiring soon and beginning the search for my first Newell.

Current RV: 2006 Keystone Raptor 3018 Toyhauler 30'
Previously owned: 1989 Rockwood Driftwood 35' gasser, 1978 Georgie Boy 28' 
Steve,

You have gotten some great comments. It might help frame future comments a bit if you would elaborate on how you plan to use the coach in your upcoming retirement. Certainly you are not a new comer to the RV world, and have some bucket list places and things to do. Also, you might talk a bit about your mechanical and electrical comfort level. What hasn’t been discussed on this thread are the jumps in complexity such as all mechanical to computer driven engines, the change in complexity that comes with slide outs, and the change in complexity that came with centrally controlled computer driven coach systems as opposed to discrete switches.
Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Subaru Outback Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )
My understanding is that entertainer coaches were "early adapters" to all-electric. Some locations in the big cities would not allow propane for safety reasons. I have noticed that SMB's tour schedule never takes them to the Northern states in the winter. I doubt if this coach has ever seen snow.
1993 Newell 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '13 Grand Cherokee.
To add to Richard's comment about mechanical vs electronic engines, most engines used by Newell were mechanical until the late 1980's. I understand that the 10th coach built in 1989 and
the 26th coach had a DDEC II electronic Detroit 8V92 while the 22nd 1988 coach still had a mechanical 8V92. The mechanical coaches are easier to work on in some respects but the electronic coaches can be easier to diagnose issues and the Silverleaf electronic monitoring systems work with them to replace the mechanical gauges. By late 1993 DDEC III was being used and mated to an electronic version of the Allison HT741 in lieu of the mechanical Allison HT740. When the first Series 60 Detroits were put into Newells in late 1994, they retained the HT 741s transmission. By early 1995 models, there was a mix of transmissions as the Allison 6 speed typically the HD4060 transmission was beginning to be installed. By 1996 models, all that I am aware of had the HD4060 6 speed.

The newer the coach the more systems are powered by air which adds complexity. Air toilets, interior air pocket doors, air operated generator slide outs, air drivers seat, air operated dump valves on the waste tank, etc.

By 1996, coaches were starting to see increased us of power Girard main awnings in lieu of the Zip-Dee manual main awnings.
Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com