You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Helping a friend

Been helping a friend with air leaks.  Using an ultrasonic leak detector we identified five air leaks outside, without going under the coach.  We also identified one air leak inside.  Four of the leaks were push in air fittings and one leaking plastic shut off valve.  All leaks were stopped using dot compression air fittings and replacing the plastic shut off valve with a metal ball valve.

The place to start in getting your coach air leak free is to go through your coach and replace all push in air fittings with brass dot compression type fittings.  The time to do this is before you are sitting in a vacation spot and your air compressor runs all the time.

Push in air fittings are great money saving devices for production, but will begin leaking not long after the coach is put in use.  I have been asked why Newell and Prevost convertors use push in air fittings............................It saves a tremendous amount of production time now, but headaches for the coach owner down the road.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I totally agree with you. And when you are replacing the fitting, good quality DOT fittings will have sealant already applied to the NPT threads. It is usually dark red in color. If you want to add more PLEASE use liquid or paste style NOT teflon tape. The teflon tape shreds as the fitting is screwed in and pieces of it can enter the air system. It’s light enough that air flow moves it around, and it can end up in your six pack valves, potty air valves, or any other solenoid valve in the coach.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

if i am in town i go to the parker store. if not, i used mcmaster carr for the fittings. they almost always deliver the next day as standard shipping. i order alot from mcmaster carr. only once in the last week though.....ha

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

From the dumb questions archive: Steve, would you mind providing an example of an appropriate air line ball valve such as what you referenced, here?

Robert
2002 Prevost Liberty XLII, Series 60
IG: @thisisbobalou

Here is just one example.  No plastic!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/AMERICAN-VALVE-...1000242219

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Oh, okay, so a regular ball valve...thanks. I mistakenly assumed it was more of a specialty item.

Robert
2002 Prevost Liberty XLII, Series 60
IG: @thisisbobalou