You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Goodyear Air bag burping

Thanks for the input Richard and Bill
When I get a chance I'm definitely going to upgrade to the Firestone air bags, I'd much rather spend the money than trying to get by and being sorry on the road. When you do yours Richard let me know what I need for my coach and I'll get them ordered so I have them on hand. Is this something I could buy and have Newell install or do they frown on that and want me to order the parts through Newell. One of the nice things about my location is I'm only 290 miles from Newell.

Dale & Shari Nelson
2001 Newell 45' #599 Triple Slide

Dale,

As we speak I am trying to determine availability of alternate product number Firestone bags. They have the bag needed in their catalog with the bottom bolts clocked in different positions. It’s pretty straightforward to loosen the bottom plate and clock the bolt pattern.

Newell tends to stock Goodyear bags. You would need to contact them about supplying the bags yourself.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

The search for a replacement tag bag made by Firestone is a success. Using the Firestone catalog info, I was able to match the actual air bag, top plate, and bottom plate. However the bottom plate was clocked incorrectly for my application. It is a very simple operation to loosen the bolt holding the bottom plate and reclock that plate to align with my mounting holes. The tag bag number is W01-358-9448. They actually exist, and I have two in my possession. Here are some pics showing how the bottom of the bag is molded over the piston. In my opinion, this is a superior design relative to preventing air bag leakage.

Laughing pretty hard, Tom already knew this. http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?ti...ht=airbags

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

So……..we are 4 months and 6000 miles into our trip. I wanted to update you on the “slime” fix for the burping / leaking Goodyear bags. Since sliming the bags the coach remains rock steady when leveled, with not appreciable leak down. The longest we have been parked is three weeks.

I know it sounds like a truly redneck hack, and it is. But so far it has worked for me, and that is good because many of the Class A RV forums are remarking on a nationwide shortage of air bags. I suppose if there is a material shortage, then the specialty bags will get last priority. Translation, I am not holding my breath until Firestone bags are available.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

I found a couple Firestone tag bags, but it took a little digging.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

That's great news Brad!

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

I have had a case of the burps.

I think temperature might play a part in my issues. I have been seeing temps in the mid 30's at night.

The real issue was how to get the bags to reflate. Just hitting the level button or the all up button did nothing for the rear end, the front would respond, but my bottom was sagging.

So with the help of Richard I did the following:

I let the pressure build to 130 psi on the dash gauge. Pushed the right side up and got nothing significant. PSI dropped to 100. Let it build back and tried the left side up and got movement. The the psi dropped to 120 but not lower. Once the gauge built back to 130 while pressing the left side up I held it for 1 minute or so. I then pushed the right side up button and it lifted, but the pressure dropped to 110 but built quickly to 120 then took 2 minutes to build to 130 and I held that for a minute.
Then I hit the all up and got another 1" of lift at the front and 3/4" at the rear.

Selected the travel button and the rear dropped quickly to ride height. The front took 2 minutes or more to lower to the 11 1/2" ride height.

Cheers.

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

Would a '93 Coach have this issue? I do not have it with me as it is at a shop still. Reason I ask, is that the previous owner replaced all airbags aside from the tag axle. Been told they seem to be fine.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

this is a function of the specific airbags that are burping. very few other than these specific ones do that. i dont remember for sure, but i dont think yours has those bags.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

In my experience, the offending design involves specifically Goodyear bags on the tag axle. If you have firestone bags you likely don’t have the issue.

Also, when this happens, it is fairly sudden. One moment the bags are happily inflated and a 30 seconds later you are flat on the rails.

For what its worth.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama