You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

No power unless on emergency start

Hey guys/Gals,
My coach 1242 doesn’t have power to to dash, ignition, etc... unless I flip the emergency start switch on dash.  Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? I have quickly looked in front compartment to check fuses and haven’t found any that aren’t blown.  I’ll call Newell if need be but I’d prefer to attempt to solve issue on my own since I’m not planning any trips in few weeks and know newell service is probably overwhelmed w cold weather and calls. Thanks in advance!

Matt Whitaker

Coach 1242 & 606
Tesla Model X. Tesla Model 3. Mclaren 12C. Ferrari 458

I think that you have no power coming from your starting batteries. they are what powers the dash etc. the steps are powered by the starting batteries on my 02, not sure on your newer coach.

start simple. check the voltage at the starting batteries. on the vintage like my 02, there is a battery disconnect switch on them in the rear engine bay. make sure that is on. alot of the coaches have a big fuse on the negative terminal on one of the starting batteries. make sure that fuse is good.

if all of that is good, then check for voltage at the front fuse/terminal panel. there should be a big wire coming into the panel that comes from the starting batteries. see what voltage you have there.

i also will send you my phone number via private message

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Hello Matt,
Another Guru had an intermittent "no power to the dash, ignition very similar to your problem. After several frustrating months he was working on another problem in the DC power panel by the passengers foot-well. He jostled the ignition relay duplicating his no power to the dash problem. Turned out to be a non-crimped wire to that particular relay (apparently from the factory). My not be your problem but certainly one to check pf the list.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

It ended up being the “little fuse” on negative battery terminal was bad. Called Mewell amd have another on it way. Thanks for everyone’s help!

Matt Whitaker

Coach 1242 & 606
Tesla Model X. Tesla Model 3. Mclaren 12C. Ferrari 458

So, just be tuned in to the next couple of crank cycles. Fuses don’t normally blow for no reason. High probability that a high current blew the fuse. Maybe it was an attempted crank in very cold weather or something else. Not saying you have a problem, but I am saying be on the lookout for anything unusual. Monitor the amperage the alternator is producing also.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )