You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Valid slides, CPU not responding *

Both of my Valid slide controllers are saying
TD200     V3.0.1.1
CPU NOT RESPONDING *

it will flash "initializing" for a very brief second.

I am still in level mode, coach is full of air, only 3 slides out due to the way we are parked ( both slides on PS and one bedroom on DS). Even in "level mode" I've never seen this statement on the controller. They slides went out OK 2 days ago. 
I have gone into the program on the panel for more information, but I realized I'm where I shouldn't be. A man has to know his limitations (Clint Eastwood)

I'm prepared to call Valid in the morning for there input, but though a Guru may have had this experience. If not, I will follow up with Valid's response.

BTW this is not really a 911 call yet. or at least until 10 am (PST) tomorrow, at which point I need to be underway to beat a snow storm over the Sierra's

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Have you tried turning the isolator switches off for 10 mins and back on again? had a quick google and there is a siemens unit on ebay that is saying the same message, so looks like you units are not talking to the CPU, which may be off line, into electrical city (bay) and check the fuses etc, my coach #1218 has a 120v distribution unit behind the rear carpet wall that I found when my valid slide controllers went blank (lost supply) this distribution unit has lots of little glass fuses, (radio fuses) which one had blown.
Call to Newell 24/7?? they would know.

Regards

Ian

#1218 in Europe based in the UK

Newell 24/7 helped with a few simple ideas. No luck. They referred me to Valid. Valid answered the phone and got me to a tech, who quickly talked me through. He had me remove the panel in the electrical bay marked "Room Control Electronics" behind a carpeted panel that has velcrow attaching it. Behind the panel, I had no lights on at all. I had 120 V going into the transformer and no volts going out until I removed the fuse just after the transformer. Per Valid's direction, I started to remove each clipped in group of wires on the right side of the left column. Once I determined that the second group of wires disconnected allowed the lights to come back on, I reclipped it back into place. Then I was instructed to remove each wire of that group, one at a time. The top wire marked L+ of that group allowed all the lights to come back on the panel. Per Valid, the complete panel is bad and has a short in it, possibly from moisture.

All of this was resolved in about 45 minutes, other than the delay for delivery, both parties were quick to help resolve the issue.

I have had the coach in a 20% humidity environment for the past year, but this week we are in 70%, but these are enclosed compartments it shouldn't have corroded, but time and an unknown history of the coach is probably my enemy. I digress. 

The new controller is being programmed as I wright, and being overnighted.

Side note; This campground will not let you accept mail or packages. I'm in CA. The problem here is, the homeless will move in, claim residency, and make it hard for the facility to move them out and no longer have room for travelers.  Therefore all mail and packages will be turned away, ABSOLUTLY they claim.

I will update when the new part arrives (at an undisclosed location Angry )

06' Newell #784
59' Nash Metropolitan

Carpe Diem. Have Fun

glad you got if figured out. i talked to valid several times as we were working on bobs 07. they were incredibly patient and helpful when i talked to them.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Update: The part recommended by Valid was not the cure. One more call and a series of texts with Valid, provided further information and found that we are not getting 24V out of the transformer once loaded with the draw from the slide controllers.

I called Newell to see if I could get 24V from someplace else on the coach. The answer was no. I couldn't find a transformer close, and found myself over 70 miles away, in CA bay area traffic, to get one. Hurray that fixed it, but the only one I found is not configured the same as the Siemens unit. It works, but I cannot reinstall the panel.

The search will go on to find a replacement that fits exactly as the old one did.

06' Newell #784
59' Nash Metropolitan

Carpe Diem. Have Fun

Hi, Have you removed and checked every glass fuse? as posted before they can look good but test them, every one.

#1218 in Europe based in the UK

(Hi, Have you removed and checked every glass fuse? as posted before they can look good but test them, every one.)

Ian, I disconnected all the power from the transformer and I got 24vdc on the output side. As I added each wire and increased the load, the voltage dropped, all the way to 9.2vdc with all wires reconnected. So I was getting draw thru the fuses and not blowing them. Once I replaced the transformer, I maintained the 24vdc and again all components worked as designed and didn't blow a fuse.

Electronics are not my strong point, but I'm hoping I'm going following good practices at diagnosing and repairing. But I'm always appreciative of fellow Guru's input Smile

It has been together now about a week and not seeing a problem. 

BTW 
Item Code Description Price (US $) /
Quantity Total (US $)
PSC-24-060 Small
PSC-24-060 RHINO SELECT PSC series switching power supply, 24-28 VDC output, 2.5A, 60W, 120/240 VAC nominal input, 1-phase, enclosed, plastic housing, 35mm DIN rail mount, screw terminals, NEC Class 2.
$75.00
Qty: 1
$75.00

looks to be a direct replacement for the Siemens 24VDC transformer for 1/3 the money.  It mounts the same and has all the same specifications. Vs the temporary unit I purchased, which has the proper specifications but configured differently and will not mount like factory behind the "Electronic room control" panel.

06' Newell #784
59' Nash Metropolitan

Carpe Diem. Have Fun

Dave I know nothing about the Valid slides. My point is to make you comfortable with a replacement. To the best of my knowledge Valid used a commercially available Siemens PLC. Similar PLC’s were quite common in all the plants I worked in for controlling automated processes. It’s no surprise that you find alternative modules designed with the same specs that mount on the DIN standard rail.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I'm not an electrician either.  I had a similar experience down in Texas last fall.  I was going through the preflight check list having disconnected the coach from shore power, and started the engine to air up and place it in Travel before retracting the slides.  The control panel was blank when I went to pull in the slides.  I called Newell and a tech helped me troubleshoot it but it didn't help.  He then said it's probably the 24V transformer and they didn't have one in stock.  I had remembered the last time the slides worked the coach was plugged into shore power so I plugged it back in and on came the control panel.  I later found out that I had some defective house batteries.  Perhaps the bad house batteries had affected the transformer output.

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

I did a google search for "PSC-24-060 RHINO SELECT PSC series switching power supply" and it popped right up:
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/sho...psc-24-060
Same price...

Dave Head & Megan Westbrook
2009 Newell 46' Custom #1261
former Foretravel guru, 93 U280, 95 U320C
Titusville FL  (The Great Outdoors)