You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How to patch water leak

After the 5 day freeze in Austin, Laureen and I recently discovered that we have a couple of leaks in our water bay lines. I had gambled that I would not need to drain the pipes this winter here in Central Texas but the unusually cold spell proved me wrong. The electricity went off at our storage site (causing the elec heater in the water bay to go off), which created 2 problems. (1) One of the check valves in the outlet line from the water pump developed a crack. I can replace it once I figure out how to get the various manifold parts taken apart.

(2) The other issue is that there is a hole in a metal "box" farther down the same line. I don't know what to call the box but a couple of water lines pass through it. The hole is kind of ragged and about 1/4 inch by 1" inch. I have attached a photo. The hole in question is right below the gauge in the photo. The question is whether or not to use JB Weld WaterWeld to patch this hole as a temporary fix until I have more time to replace the unit. Is there a different product you would recommend?

I will take what appears to be the cover off the box later this week and see what it looks like inside.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Glenn & Laureen Parker
Austin, Texas
1984 Newell 35'  (Coach #58? - not confirmed)
6v92 TA Detroit Diesel, MT654 Allison 5 speed trans
2005 Honda Element toad
2007 Honda S2000 fun car

Glenn,
That looks like a Newell fabricated water manifold to me.

I don’t think you will be happy with any “patch or fix”. The box appears to be a manifold. If you can get the screws out, then it would be pretty straight forward to fab a new cover from a sheet of brass or copper. You would need to make a gasket also.

Short of replacing the cover, you will probably be able to make a suitable manifold from fittings obtained at the local Lowes/HD.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thank you, Richard. Will update when I get a look inside.

Glenn & Laureen Parker
Austin, Texas
2005 Honda Element toad
2007 Honda S2000 fun car

You could also redo all of the brass and copper with pex. There are multiple pex manifolds for sale, some with valves. Look at either irrigation suppliers or manifolds for floor heating systems.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I believe that metal with the hole in it is a decorative cover for the original water manifold. Looks like some of the ball valves have been changed out over the years. Following you on this. Several of our ball valves have began to bypass a little water. I am no longer to run off city water , as the ball valve lets water fill the fresh water tank and overflow after a few hours.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

I'm with Forrest, that's what I'm planning to do. Pex is inexpensive and you have 3 colors to choose from. I will use blue for cold, red for hot, and white for filtered.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Laureen and I are looking into Pex, which Laureen was aware of but I was ignorant about. Will be a week or two before we get to fixing things. Working on completing a parking pad for the Newell in our side yard at the moment.

Glenn & Laureen Parker
Austin, Texas
2005 Honda Element toad
2007 Honda S2000 fun car

PEX is the way to go but be aware there are several types of PEX each with there own fastening systems and they don't play nice with each other.  I prefer the expansion style of PEX fittings which are much easier to use in the tight recesses under our coaches then the compression ring style.  One brand name of the compression style is Power Pex.  The different types are designated as A, B, and C.  I don't recall off the top of my head if the expansion fitting type is A or B.

Doug and Cathy Musick
Coach 370
1994, 45', non-slide
DD60, Allison 741

I used Pex with Shark Bite fittings when installing my side vent tankless water heater a year ago.  The Shark Bite fittings were easy to connect, and disconnect in tight spaces, and can be reused.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

I agree with Doug on the compression fittings but it requires special tools. We had a kitchen remodel a couple of years ago and I watched the plumber do the under sink plumbing. He used a battery-powered Milwaukee tool that made quick work of it.

"PEX Fittings and More

The easiest to use are brass push-fit fittings, which simply “bite” into the tubing. Other types of fittings used with PEX are crimp, clamp, press and compression, any of which are less expensive but require specialized tools."

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad