You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Time to fall on my sword (word of warning)

Many many years ago when I was taking 3 of my young children on a boondocking fishing trip in my old Monaco Executive a similar thing occurred. We had left late at night and when I got tired we pulled into a wide area in the center of a rather tight curve in the road which served as a parking area for folks going on day hikes to see some of the sights in the area. When I woke everyone up I fixed the kids cereal for breakfast. I went outside to check the fluids etc before starting off on the rest of the trip. The executive was a front engine gasser on a GMC chassis. When I was opening the front panel to access the engine compartment, I looked up and saw my smiling 4 year old daughter standing in the driver's seat waving and watching me. Remember, at this point, the Executive is a 1982 model. No ignition, steering wheel, shifter interlock. Imagine my horror as I watched in slow motion her small hand taking hold of the shift lever and easing it out of park. As the coach started to roll backwards, I first tried in vain to hold it back by hanging onto the front end of it. The only thing I could se in my mind was the caoch rolling backwards across the highway and down an embankment on the other side of the roadway. I give full credit to the Lord for seeing to it that the parking area was somewhat of a bowl. The coach did not get enough inertia to make it out of the parking area. I will assure you all that I have been very diligent about using the parking brake since then. As well as teaching the kids not to touch anything in the driver area of a vehicle unless they understand what it is for.

Messages In This Thread
Time to fall on my sword (word of warning) - by Tfrazier - 03-09-2021, 01:31 PM
RE: Time to fall on my sword (word of warning) - by Johnnyboy - 03-09-2021, 01:57 PM
RE: Time to fall on my sword (word of warning) - by folivier - 03-09-2021, 02:01 PM
RE: Time to fall on my sword (word of warning) - by Guy - 03-09-2021, 02:07 PM
RE: Time to fall on my sword (word of warning) - by Winegrower - 03-09-2021, 02:23 PM
RE: Time to fall on my sword (word of warning) - by RussWhite - 03-09-2021, 03:00 PM
RE: Time to fall on my sword (word of warning) - by HoosierDaddy - 03-09-2021, 03:02 PM
RE: Time to fall on my sword (word of warning) - by Richard - 03-09-2021, 05:56 PM
RE: Time to fall on my sword (word of warning) - by Ernie - 03-10-2021, 05:35 AM
RE: Time to fall on my sword (word of warning) - by ccjohnson - 03-10-2021, 06:41 AM
RE: Time to fall on my sword (word of warning) - by Tfrazier - 03-10-2021, 05:18 PM
RE: Time to fall on my sword (word of warning) - by whatsnewell - 03-10-2021, 07:59 PM