You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Helping a friend

He had enough air leaks in his 2015 Foretravel to cause his air compressor to cycle every 8 minutes.  Replaced every plastic shut off valve with good quality metal ball valves, one cheap air dryer, one check valve and every push in fitting we could find with DOT compression fittings and now his pump only cycles a few times in 24 hrs.

A leak down tool saved the day as he had no leaks big enough for the ultrasonic leak detector to hear.  Remember 25 small leaks add up to a big leak!

NOTE: all repairs were made without getting under the coach.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

WOW!!! Were the plastic shut-off valves from the factory?

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

When the Fore family designed Unicoach chassis was sold in late 2005, the new folks started changing things. They are boxes on rails today like so many other motorhomes. Most have the baby 400 series Aqua Hots. So if it is newer than 2005, it is not my era Foretravel motorhome.

The 1995 to 2005 Unicoach is monocock style as is Newell and Prevost. They came through the front door as square tubing, NO frame rails a la Spartan or Freightliner. The U320 model had the large Aqua Hot, nothing smaller was installed. The 431/12 and its successors have one 120 electric element where as the special for Newell Aqua Hots have one 120 volt element, one 240 element and an in tank temp sensor. Newell is a cut above.

That era Foretravel was a Mercedes level coach while Newell would be Rolls Royce level.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

HoosierDaddy,
Foretravel used the same shut off valves that Newell used. They are brass bodied, but have a plastic stem & shut off. All were leaking through the stem. All of mine leaked and were replaced with all metal ball valves.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Every 8 minutes to a couple times a day is some kind of difference.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Mr. Bare, you are welcome to sneak around my Foretravel any time.

Recently, a friend heard my front level valve leaking. From underneath safely, he determined the valve body near the supply inlet was leaking. So a new WABCO valve is ready to be installed. Strange leak as MOT installed the leaking valve 10 or 11 months ago.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Thanks for posting Steve. It's a valuable lesson to learn about these air systems, how to test them, and good quality fittings.

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

Steve Bare,
Got my curiosity up about these air valves. I have not seen any such valve while rooting around the coach. Do you have an idea where they might be located? How many did Newell install at the factory?

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Steve, not wanting to sound ignorant, but... You said you used a "leak down tool", is this a cylinder leak down tool used on internal combustion engines to check the rings, or something else.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Jon,

Go to 3:45 in this video that Steve did at a guru gathering:

https://youtu.be/RDd-AR7we8w

Robert
2002 Prevost Liberty XLII, Series 60
IG: @thisisbobalou