You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator acting up

Hi All,

The winner for this round of resolution is Michael Day. House batteries were only charging to 10.5-11 Volts. Lots of great advice along the way. Thanks to everyone for helping me out. Special thanks to Tom for recommending O'Riley's (they did all the heavy lifting) and explaining some of the details of the electrical system, and to Richard for his sage advice on things to do (and not to do) during the install and the new tool in my tool box.

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
2023 Ford Broncos Bad lands Toad
Columbia, SC

Last fall while on the road in warm country I started the generator to give us more air conditioning.  It would run for a while and quit.  It had been serviced < 1 month previously at Newell.  It turned out that it was low on coolant and has run fine ever since topping it off.

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

(03-22-2021, 05:42 PM)bestgenman Wrote:  I certainly may be incorrect here but, I think Dave’s PT set had isochronous governing.  The stop solenoid is removed and replaced with an electronic actuator which acts directly on the fuel rack of the injection pump..  it has a spring pushing the rack to the no fuel position when power is removed.  It uses PWM when operating delivered from an engine speed controller.  The engine speed controller receives a signal from a mag pickup.   If Dave has a MPU, it is likely an Isoc governed engine.  I’m sorry if I’m rambling here...but it could explain some of the erratic operations.  They are very temperamental.  I remember Dario Framchiti’s coach (785) had one,  it came in here for repair and I removed the electronic portion and that stopped all the aggravation.

Would love to know more about the electronic portion you are referencing.  I have #789 w/ Powertech and the Fuel Stop solenoid is causing issues.  When i hook to strait 12v it opens/closes - when I attach back to the gen, it stays in the closed position, or opens briefly and shuts everything back down.  When its removed, the gen runs perfect and I can manually shut off by feeding a small straighthead to push the fuel stop.

Any info much appreciated Smile

Tyler & Marvis
Mackinaw City, Michigan
2007 Newell - #789
1987 Blue Bird Wanderlodge, FC 35'
2020 Airstream Flying Cloud, 27' (sold)
2019 Airstream Flying Cloud, 25;' (sold)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch - TOAD
2023 Tesla MYP
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat