You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Brake information

Hello guys. I just recently purchased a 1968 model 32' or 33' (can't remember specifically) Newell. I am seeking someone who knows this era of the great Newells. My first concern (and the only one to get it back to road worthiness) is the brakes. The model I have is built on a Ford dually frame with a 477 super duty engine in it. It has no brakes to speak of. The emergency brake is a system that is set up around the drive shaft and is supposed to, when applied, constrict a sort of strap on the drive shaft. But, my mechanic (and the friend who sold me the coach) thinks that someone left it on and drove it, because it is no longer tight enough to tighten down on the drive shaft. 
The second and most pressing brake issue is with the braking system itself. It has no pedal to speak of. The mechanic seems to think it is a hydroboost braking system, but I have trouble believing that because hydro brakes did not really hit main stream until a few years later and were mostly on diesels then. However, we know that the lines and wheel cylinders are all in working order, and that the master cylinder (or the reservoir at the very least) is by the steering column, because the linkage is visible there and that is where you fill with brake fluid at.
I hope there is someone here that can help point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
Brake information - by EagleRyder - 04-01-2021, 08:37 PM
RE: Brake information - by Richard - 04-02-2021, 05:04 AM
RE: Brake information - by EagleRyder - 04-02-2021, 07:05 AM