You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

"cheater box"

We are in a campground and need to use both Air Conditioning Units. I am considering a "Cheater Box". Curious if anyone has had experiences and could give advice.
PS This would get either another 30 Amp Service or 15- 20 Amp and a 30 Amp to get at least close to the 50 Amp.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

How does that work?

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

I have used a cheater box several times. The way they work is they allow one circuit to power one of the hot prongs of the 50 amp plug, and the other circuit to power the other prong. There are a couple of things to remember, if you use a 20 amp and a 30 amp circuit then 1/2 of the distribution box in the bus will be powered by the 30 amp plug and the other will be powered by the 20 amp plug. That will give the bus 1/2 the power that you get when plugged into a 50 amp plug, because when plugged into a true 50 amp plug each leg is powered by 50 amp 120V.

You have to make sure that neither circuit is reverse polarity or as soon as you plug the cheater box in it will create a short, and if either circuit is a GFI the cheater plug will not work, it will just trip the GFI.

It may sounds scary, but it is not. They work well. As I have said I have used them many times.

Hope this helps.

Peter Haggins
Courtenay BC
Canada
96 Wanderlodge 42' Mid Door

I have one and use it too. The last time I used it the pole had 2 30amp receptacles so that worked out great. I found I could run just about everything with 2 30amps. With 1 30 and 1 15/20 you may have to watch your heavy draws.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

If I am not mistaken, you need to confirm that the receptacles are on different circuit breakers.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Thanks for the "heads up" on the GFCI Receptacles. It has gotten hot here at Lake Elsinore and I was looking to try and run both air conditioners with one of these but the 20 Amp circuit does have a GFCI.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

The cheater box is as everyone has stated a method to use the 50A 125/250V service to our coaches from lower amperage outlets. I want to give you something to think about. Since two cords are involved, usually with 30A 125V plugs each, the ungrounded (HOT) conductors are feeding the HOT prongs of the receptacle we plug our fixed cords into. The neutrals of the cords are both landed on the neutral prong (of the 50A receptacle). Herein lies the concern, the neutral carries the unbalanced current of a 240V 3 wire circuit however, if the 30A plugs are plugged into the same leg of the (campground) receptacles so there is no voltage difference between the HOT legs of the receptacle, the #10 wire in the 30A cords could exceed 30A and melt insulation possibly causing a fire. This could be even in the campground's equipment which could expose you to some level of liability.

I realize this is quite technical but the simple resolution is to measure between the HOT legs of the 50A receptacle for 240V, plugging the 30A plugs into receptacles until you find 240V. This can also be done with 125V pilot lamps wired in series.

Just a thought!!
Gordon

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567