You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Body Work

We had an incident the other day where my locking pin holding my BlueOx system failed.  Somehow the lock came off (and yes, I had previously checked it) as I was pulling away from fuel pumps.  Going slowing and turning in the parking lot I heard a honk and quickly checked my rear camera.  Shocked when I saw the whole system unhooked.  Stopped and my car drifted into the coach.  Damage to the p/s corner of the rear fiberglass cap as well as the d/s front corner of my Jeep.  Would appreciate suggestions on where to get the coach repaired.

Thanks,
Terry

Terry Copeland
2007 P2000i

Terry,

First of all...I would like to hear more about what happened or what you think happened. I am just starting to tow a car and am trying to learn all I can. Pictures would be helpful if not too painful to share.

As for the coach repair.... Newell has done several small repairs on my coach. They can look up my paint colors and do a pretty good job of matching. (Except for the pearl color which seems to be a general mystery). While Newell is not cheap....they are not unreasonable in my experience.

As far as the jeep...I guess any competent body shop can do that.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Xtreme Paint & Graphics in Nacogdoches, TX has done work for me and I've been very satisfied. Excellent fiberglass and paint work.
http://www.xtremegraphics.net/

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Bill - I have been towing for several years and have never seen anything like this. To be honest I have no idea what happened.  I had a locking hitch pin (Curt) and towed from southern FL to TN, through the curves and NC mountains with no issues.  How it unlocked is an absolute mystery and adding to that the pin was still with the BlueOx system. The lock was gone. I know I checked it before we left that day but certainly didn’t check it at the fuel pump.  The BlueOx worked as it was supposed to, the cables held and the emergency brake system on the AirForce 1 activated accordingly.  Wish I could tell you more.

Terry

Terry Copeland
2007 P2000i

Terry,
I had a friend tell me that some knucklehead pulled their hitch pin while in a rest area. I guess just to see what would happen...but if yours was locking....hmmm.

Glad everyone was safe and all you lost was some paint.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Last year just before climbing Monarch pass in Colorado I felt a jolt. Looked in my driver side mirror and saw the Tahoe. Whoa Nellie! Looked in the rear camera and saw it swaying back and forth. I gently started slowing down, it helped since I was starting up the incline. Safely got to a safe spot to stop on a shoulder. Walked back, almost fell off the embankment climbing out, and saw the driver side towbar arm just hanging. The pin that connects it to the Tahoe was missing. Thankfully nothing was damaged other than a few scratches on the towbar arm. It was one of these cinch pins with a nice pull handle that I recently bought from Harbor Freight: https://www.harborfreight.com/58-in-easy...63671.html
I replaced both pins with a couple old tow pins I had and bought a new set from Blue Ox. Yes, I threw away the HF ones.
So best practice is to inspect your tow equipment and if you have any doubts replace parts. Especially the pins since they are subject to stress and are the weak links in your tow system.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest,

Thanks for the wise words. I had not heard that story.

A couple of years ago, I saw a newish Newell at the factory that had been totaled from exactly this scenario. He saw the tow vehicle in his passenger side mirror and was slowing down...He was so fixated in looking at vehicle that he did not see the bridge coming up and the tow vehicle hit the bridge which caused the coach to go to the median. Not a good day at all.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Wow! If you ever see your toad in your side mirror it's BAD. First instinct is to hit your brakes which is the worst thing to do. Unless you have a toad braking system where you can activate the toad brakes separately you need to slow down very gradually to keep the toad under control. I have a Readybrake surge system so don't have any way to activate the brakes separately.
Just a reminder to always be aware of what's going on. I know (and am guilty of) how it's easy to daydream on a long drive. But remember that gremlin is always out there waiting to get you.
Your co-pilot is also a great help in situations like this to keep an eye out for a pullover. I'm just glad my dash cam continually writes over the memory card. No need to hear the frantic words when this stuff happens....

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Terry,

Sorry about the repair work needed. I just want to make sure I understand exactly which pin came loose and how it was still with the system. I have a Blue Ox setup. I am having a hard time putting those two statements together and seeing what happened.

Are you talking about the pin that holds the tow bar into the two inch square receiver ?
Are you talking about one of the two pins that attach the tow bar to the vehicle?
Are you talking about the center pin that bolts two pieces of the two bar together?

I apologize that I am a little slower than most.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Yes, the pin for the hitch receiver. Still no idea how it happened though sabotage has also come to mind. But the darn thing was locked!!!!

Terry

Terry Copeland
2007 P2000i