You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

OAT Coolant question Final Charge

Hey everyone, question for you all. We just had Newell perform our first PM on our coach before taking off for Alaska and I noticed that they spun on a SCA coolant filter LFW4075, I told them I am running OAT final charge coolant, which requires a blank coolant filter. They seem like they have no idea the difference  between OAT vs legacy coolant systems and SCA requirments. Am I just stressing out about nothing here? Out of an abundance of caution and recomendation from the coolant manufacturer Peak Final Charge, I am flushing out the coolant system and replacing the contaminated coolant. Thanks for your inputs guys! 

Jesse White 2001 Newell 582

Jesse,
You're sharing some info new to me here. I just had the radiator repaired on ours and CAT Extended Life Coolant was used as per CAT recommendations, OAT based. What is the difference between using an SCA coolant filter and a "blank"?
Thanks,
Bob

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

I was always informed adding SCAs to OAT coolant causes the coolant to "fall out" ie form gel in your system which will cause major engine damage overtime. Called people who make the OAT coolant i had in the coach and they said the same. Again looking for people to confirm or deny this on here but other then Newell, everyone i spoke to has recomended a complete flush and replace with the proper filter used this time around.

And to answer your question directly Bob, an SCA coolant filter has beads in it which pass SCAs into your coolant as it passes the filter keeping an SCA coolant at proper levels. Use it on an OAT coolant system your contaminating your coolant. OAT coolant filters aka blanks, have no SCAs in them.

Thank you. Now I've another situation contend with after looking carefully at the current filter. If it's an SCA filter I'll switch it immediately for a "blank" OAT and hope that as time goes on there won't be too much gel circulating seems the most logical.

Sandy and Bob McBratney

Have no SCAs in them, what does that mean?
Thank You

Dale & Shari Nelson
2001 Newell 45' #599 Triple Slide

SCAs is Supplemental Coolant Additives. Bob just ensure it is in fact an OAT coolant they put in, if so they "should" have installed a blank filter with it.

Be aware that Peak Final Charge comes in both oat  , and noat formulas. Peak Final Charge produced in oat formula is marketed  as "Peak Final Charge Global", which is oat. This is what Wal Mart carries, with a red diesel semi on the container. But, Peak also produces "Peak Final Charge noat", with a Cat skip loader on the container. This one is carried by some of the auto parts stores. 

Those of you with series 60 engines need coolant that meets DD spec  93K217

Steve Bare  (rheaven) did a great write up 5/16/2019 on coolant in this forum. He makes a great point that any coolant is available in any color, so never use color to identify what coolant you have . A search will link you to it.

Coolant seems to be one of the most confusing and mentioned issues in our forum

At this point, I am not sure if I have the correct coolant or not for our 8V92, but I know I have fresh coolant, all 20 gallons of it. I went with the Wal Mart oat formula. 

Below is the DD coolant specs courtesy of Wandelodge Owners Group

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/d...olants.pdf

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

After examining the cooling system I don't think the later P2001 with the C-15 CAT has an SCA filter. CAT recommends an OAT based extended life coolant so there wouldn't be any need for a blank filter to take the place of an SCA filter. I did have to top off the reservoir this morning after driving the coach for several hours yesterday. No leaks in the new radiator thankfully.

Sandy and Bob McBratney

I am draining and replacing my coolant in the 8v92...it does not appear to have a coolant filter. I have searched it over and also searched the online material but it appears Detroit began the coolant filter with the 60 series engines. Can anyone here confirm that?

1990 Newell #234

My 1992 8V92 does not have a coolant filter.