You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hi Everyone - Intro & Looking to Get into a 1982 38 Classic

Welcome Wil!
I'm thinking you could learn a lot about the coach by getting it running where it sits . Does it have two 8D batteries ?
Regular flooded batteries might not be too expensive , although all battery costs are up at the moment . 
When I had fuel delivery problems (of my own making ) I ended up temporarily plumbing a gear pump into the system between the tank and engine to finally get it primed and running reliably . 
The first thing I did (after new filters) was plumb a small electric pump right into the secondary filter boss ( there's a plug , 1/4 npt ) with a hose from pump into a 5 gallon pail of fresh fuel . Engine ran fine with that , so I knew it wasn't pulling fuel all the way from the tank . The Detroit two stroke has a fuel transfer pump , but no high pressure pump , the injectors handle that . My experience is on the 8V only , but from what I have read the engines /fuel system are much the same . 
Look at the fuel /water separators , could be a water issue .
As to the air system , when the engine is running and compressor working , the brake system will come up first .
Once the brake tanks are at 65 psi (I think) the system tanks will begin filling and supplying the suspension , throttle , etc . An understanding of the air systems is important in Newell ownership . 
Richard advise on breaking it down to subsystems , very good . 
Something to be wary of is the potential for a "runaway " caused by a sticking fuel rack on an engine that has been setting for long period . I haven't had an issue , but I keep a piece of plywood in the compartment near the air intake to block off the air in case of exciting event ! 
Again , I think ten or fifteen minutes of running would tell you about the condition of the suspension , electrics , etc .
Brakes : hold the pedal down while someone listens for air leaks at each wheel . Make sure the old boy will stop before venturing onto the road !
On the '86 the GVWR , etc , is driver's left , lower wall .
Good luck !

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Messages In This Thread