You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hi Everyone - Intro & Looking to Get into a 1982 38 Classic

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! I'm hearing that having it towed or transported on a trailer should be a last resort. After talking to a company today about it I was starting to think that myself. Seems like it's a pretty substantial job and height is a concern. So before I do all that, I'll take your guy's advice and start going through the various systems.

Guy - I agree about the tire situation. The owner said that 3 tires had been replaced. Two on the back and one on the front. I looked at them as best I could and I didn't see any obvious signs of dry rot, but it is also hard to see everything. Apparently there is a garage 2 miles down the road that she used before for tires, so I could always get them checked/replaced there if needed.

Tf175 - Yes I agree, I can learn a lot (and already have) by trying to get it running myself. Yes it has 8D batteries and as soon as the deal goes through, I plan on just buying two new ones - If I can put water in the old ones and revive them, they can be my solar powered shed/HAM shack batteries. Smile

I have a gas tapper, fuel transfer pump that I could probably rig up to prime up the fuel system as you guys are saying. Richard, I like the pump sprayer Idea too that's awesome.

It sounds like these things have some big air tanks, so that explains why it never was able to pump up. I have a pancake compressor and a 10 Gal aluminum air tank I can fill up ahead of time too if needed so I'll throw all that in the van when I go back.

I keep a 20 ton bottle jack in my van, and I think my buddy has one too, so I'll take those and some wood with me next time so I can get under there.

I have a van full of tools that I can sleep in, so maybe she will let me camp out in the yard while I work on this thing. Smile

Seriously guys thanks so much for all the info. I'm a pretty handy ex-mechanic guy, but this big rig/bus stuff and diesel is new to me so I'm a newbie in that regard for sure. I'll be sure to put the next posts in the appropriate technical categories.

Thanks again,

Wil

Messages In This Thread