You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tires on a 1982 38 Classic

Hi Folks!

Quick one.  I'm in the process of trying to get a newly purchased Newell home. The GVWR label on my coach show that all the tires are 11R22.5s all the way around, however what it actually has on it are 315/80 R22.5 on the front and 12R22.5 on the back.  The front ones are 2008 and I can't even find a DOT date on the back.  I have a 200 Mile drive to get it home - I'm thinking about just replacing all 6 and being done with it for now, but I'll probably do at least the front two.

Any ideas why the tire sizes might be different from what is on the sticker?

One more thing - anyone know if a 1982 has left-hand threads on the driver's side lugs?

Thanks!

Wil Bolton
1983 Classic 36ft

Not sure but when I had my '93 I talked to an engineer at Newell and he said the coach plate was based on the tires available when it was made. He even made a new plate with current tire sizes and it actually gave me more weight capacity.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I know the '86 has left hand threads on the driver's side lugs . Look for " L" stamped on the end of the stud . 
Good idea to put fresh rubber on the ground .
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

The 12R22.5's have a larger rolling radius so they will decrease acceleration, increase speed in each gear and increase top speed. If you want higher load ratings, make sure you go with H rated tires rather than G. Regardless of size make sure they are rated for 75 mph. Some truck tires are rated for lower speeds. There is 3.3% decrease in revs/mile with the 11R vs the 12R's. Technically, the 315/80R22.5 tires are supposed to be mounted on a 9-9.5" or 9.75" wide rim depending on the tire manufacturer. The 11R22.5 are typically mounted on a 8.25" wide rim. The 12's, even in load range H will have a noticeably higher load capacity and are available in J load range. Try to find steer tires for the front (or all positions if you want to move them around to the front at some point). Usually the 11 and 12's are easier to find if you have to find one in an emergency than a 315/80.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael, well said. My coach has right hand threads all around. I would definitely replace the 13 year old tires asap. Best of luck with your classic.

Mike and Beth Magee 
80 Newell Classic 37’ Cat 3208T
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

Hi All,

Quick update. I did end up replacing all the tires. I went with 12R 22.5 all the way around. Bridgestone's in the front for steer and the rest are Sumutomo. It's going to be a while before this thing gets any real miles so I went with the cheaper option on the back. I'm going to try to keep 303 on them and keep them covered and hopefully get some long life out of them.

The threads were indeed left-hand on the driver's side and are clearly marks as was mentioned, so thanks for that. I managed to get the coach jacked up and took the wheels off myself. The tire company sent someone to come get them and take them back to be mounted and spin balanced. They barely charged me anything. They are all back on now and torqued to 475.

Now I just have to see what is going on with my airbags. One side is higher than the other. Not sure if something happened to the leveling valves in the back when I had it jacked up so high. I hope I didn't mess up the airbags. The adventure continues. Smile

Wil Bolton
1983 Classic 36ft

When the ride height changes like that it is typically the leveling valve rod getting out of adjustment. Start looking at the one of the rear on the side that now appears to be out of line with the other side and the front.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks for the reply Michael. When I got to the coach today and aired it back up it seemed to level itself out okay. Getting closer all the time. Now I need to sort out the brake lights.

Wil Bolton
1983 Classic 36ft