You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Are Newell's expensive to maintain?

So a used RV salesman said not to buy his coach cause it was expensive to maintain? That seems a little fishy to me. Maybe the coach was a consignment and the sales guy didn’t get as much commission?

I may be in the minority here but have owned my coach for 10 years. I have found that the air system is not all that complicated if you pay attention and are willing to do some work yourself. Newell used a lot of push-on air fittings which will start leaking over time. It is a simple matter to swap one out with a DOT type fitting. The air compressors are also fairly inexpensive. So 60k to fix an air system problem is not a reality.

Some folks have had expensive fixes (including me) but those are not specific to Newell. Blowing up a differential is going to be a bad day for a Newell or a Prevost or any other diesel pusher.

These are million dollar machines and just because depreciation has lowered the price of a particular coach doesn’t mean that it will be less costly to repair. A Newell just like any other coach will cost a fair bit to move up and down the road. Many folks use 10k per year as a budget for repairs. Take a few years off of keeping up with repairs and you may find 30k in deferred maintenance.

If you compare a Newell to a comparable Prevost you will find that one of the main differences is the number of slides. Newell has a ton of floor space (probably the most in the industry)…but this comes at a price. The slides are a source of expense due to the seals which need to replaced every 10 years or so. For coaches newer than 2003, the bearings can be a maintenance item.

Once last thought. What would the used RV dealer say would be a good coach for full timers? For me the safety and build quality of Newells are at the very top of the industry. Yes, you could buy a cheaper RV without all the bells and whistles of a Newell…it *might* be less expensive to repair…but it wont be safer than a Newell. And…at the end of the day….it wont be a Newell.

For what it’s worth.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Messages In This Thread
Are Newell's expensive to maintain? - by TravelAmerica - 06-22-2021, 05:13 AM
RE: Are Newell's expensive to maintain? - by bikestuff - 06-22-2021, 06:40 AM
RE: Are Newell's expensive to maintain? - by Fulltiming - 06-22-2021, 06:42 AM
RE: Are Newell's expensive to maintain? - by hbens - 06-22-2021, 06:51 AM
RE: Are Newell's expensive to maintain? - by folivier - 06-22-2021, 08:05 AM
RE: Are Newell's expensive to maintain? - by MrE - 06-22-2021, 09:13 AM
RE: Are Newell's expensive to maintain? - by Cienzo1 - 06-22-2021, 10:09 AM
RE: Are Newell's expensive to maintain? - by bikestuff - 06-22-2021, 10:47 AM
RE: Are Newell's expensive to maintain? - by Trainer - 06-22-2021, 01:19 PM
RE: Are Newell's expensive to maintain? - by kyleb - 06-22-2021, 07:32 PM
RE: Are Newell's expensive to maintain? - by DK on the road - 06-22-2021, 09:41 PM