You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

trying to find out why my coach sags on the drivers side

Waiting on insurance stuff, but not holding my breath

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

Just a little more background on the test fixture based on my own air leak fix journey. I think it is easy to change the solenoid valves as the first attempt at fixing issues with the coach settling over time. Over a period of years and thinking about it I realized two problems with that thought process. One, we don't have a good way of knowing the solenoid valve is leaking, and second those puppies are expensive to just throw money at the problem. I made some fixtures to test the valve off of the coach but that requires removal.

So the idea for the isolation fixture was born. The isolation valve acts as the solenoid valve since it is just downstream of the six pack. If the side leaks down with the isolation valve closed then the leak is between the six pack and the air bags. If it stays up then the leak is in the six pack solenoids. The fixture should cost less than twenty bucks to make and that is 20 percent of the cost of one solenoid valve.

Here is where it gets interesting for Tom. If the coach stays up with the isolation valve closed then how to tell which of the three solenoids is leaking? The down solenoid is easy. There is an exhaust hole on the back of the six pack. A little bit of soapy water on that hole will tell if it is leaking. You can put the isolation fixture on the air line coming from the HCV valve next. If that stops the coach from sagging then the travel solenoid is leaking. If that doesn't stop the sag then the only valve left is the UP valve.

Sorry for the heavy duty logic but I have had two long drives in two weeks and windshield time makes me think.

One more thing. Having a fixture on board would allow you to air up the coach and travel if a HCV valve failed on the road

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Sounds like it is time to build an isolation fixture. I'm slowly coming to the realization that isolating leaks is the only real way to find them. Small leaks are very hard to detect, even with a ultrasonic leak detector. I like your logic Richard.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Excellent thoughts Richard.
Steve lets build two when we get there Tuesday.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Sounds good!!!

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

i will take pictures of my crude rig later today. i used the parts i had so it is not as elegant as it would be if i was to buy new parts.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Looks like you could use half the fittings if you are buying some.
I probably gave away enough fittings when we sold the house to make a dozen of those. Ouch, it still hurts!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

gee forest, you trying to make me feel like a jury rigger?

i am though.

well, after i was done with the sat dish install, i dumped the air and took my test rig off the driver side rear where i had it and moved it to the ride height valve line. charged it up and leveled and took the measurements on all 4 corners and noted the air pressure on the jig

will check tomorrow.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Did I miss the pictures? I love rigging stuff and am anxious to see the installation.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Keep on driving Richard!

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458