You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newell Introduces N1 System

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4YSV9BLiRw

Newell has added their new N1 system that controls all lights, shades, etc. James Neatherry, VP of Engineering, gives a walk through of the new system. It eliminates 12 volt fuses and can reset any circuit from the bay or over the drivers side. It replaces the manual light switches at each location throughout the coach with either a 7" or 5" touchscreen that simulates the switches previous used. The screens are in the same locations as the previous switch panels so there are a bunch of them. This system has been used in marine applications for the past 3 years.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(08-13-2021, 04:05 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4YSV9BLiRw

Newell has added their new N1 system that controls all lights, shades, etc. James Neatherry, VP of Engineering, gives a walk through of the new system. It eliminates 12 volt fuses and can reset any circuit from the bay or over the drivers side. It replaces the manual light switches at each location throughout the coach with either a 7" or 5" touchscreen that simulates the switches previous used. The screens are in the same locations as the previous switch panels so there are a bunch of them. This system has been used in marine applications for the past 3 years.

I wonder if an older Newell can be upgraded with the N1 system?

I will be bold and say I like the KISS factor, (Keep It Simple Stupid) some of the added convenience also comes with drawbacks.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

(04-27-2024, 05:34 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  I will be bold and say I like the KISS factor, (Keep It Simple Stupid) some of the added convenience also comes with drawbacks.

In my mind, the older electrician system was more complicated with red and white buttons all over the coach. Not simple.

The new system has less screens but all access to every electrical function.

But we digress; when performing a complete remodel on a 2020 p50, can the N1 system be added to the list of improvements? Will Newell do that?

Scott, I think only Newell could answer that question. The issue is always at what cost.

I see you are new here, welcome!

Most of us have much older coaches with discrete old school switches. That way it doesn’t get above our pay grade for repairing or diagnosing.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Yes, money talks..

(04-27-2024, 12:26 PM)scottabbotts Wrote:  
(04-27-2024, 05:34 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  I will be bold and say I like the KISS factor, (Keep It Simple Stupid) some of the added convenience also comes with drawbacks.

In my mind, the older electrician system was more complicated with red and white buttons all over the coach. Not simple.

The new system has less screens but all access to every electrical function.

But we digress; when performing a complete remodel on a 2020 p50, can the N1 system be added to the list of improvements? Will Newell do that?

Many are confused on just what “N1” is.  The N1 backbone fully replaces the fuses with a diagnostics and resettable circuit system.

The TOUCH panels you see are actually just a GLASS TOUCH SCREEN for the Spyder system, since the push buttons are no longer made.  ON that note, I love tech of all sorts, but I really feel that the push buttons are so much nicer when it come to easily spotting which lights are on/off, being able to see them at night without glasses, and not having to dig down through several screens to get what you need.  Simply put, I know some don’t like their looks, but boy…the tactile advantages far outweigh looking at the blue/red lights which can be turned off any time.

This said, even if Newell was up to doing it, I think you would be shocked at the amount of work and cost it would take to convert to an N1.

FWIW, I have Alexa so well programmed, that I find myself going to the panel less and less.  So..yeah..since we’ll all be forced to use “touch panels” in the future, Alexa would be more and more important…aside from stumbling around in the middle of the night.

Food for thought.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Interesting aspect, yes, food for thought. I'm an IT admin, so "tech" is second nature to me. And in my world, it's Windows at work, and Apple at home, not Bezos or Musk. Not sure where that leaves me in this scenario, except that the great equalizer is always the web, so anything available from an app is better in my book. I presume there's an app for the N1 or Spyder system..

(04-27-2024, 03:15 PM)scottabbotts Wrote:  Interesting aspect, yes, food for thought. I'm an IT admin, so "tech" is second nature to me. And in my world, it's Windows at work, and Apple at home, not Bezos or Musk. Not sure where that leaves me in this scenario, except that the great equalizer is always the web, so anything available from an app is better in my book. I presume there's an app for the N1 or Spyder system..

No, there is no “N1” app because, as I said, N1 is merely the diagnostics/fuseless system and Spyder is still using the CanBuss network.

Intrepid and/or Crestron is the main control for all things; those are the apps…and they are identical to the pre-N1 version.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

(04-27-2024, 07:52 PM)CaptainGizmo Wrote:  
(04-27-2024, 03:15 PM)scottabbotts Wrote:  Interesting aspect, yes, food for thought. I'm an IT admin, so "tech" is second nature to me. And in my world, it's Windows at work, and Apple at home, not Bezos or Musk. Not sure where that leaves me in this scenario, except that the great equalizer is always the web, so anything available from an app is better in my book. I presume there's an app for the N1 or Spyder system..

No, there is no “N1” app because, as I said, N1 is merely the diagnostics/fuseless system and Spyder is still using the CanBuss network.

Intrepid and/or Crestron is the main control for all things; those are the apps…and they are identical to the pre-N1 version.

Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated.